Power inverter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgermasi

Reaction score
Hi guys
What do you use a power inverter for when you are out in the bush?
I'm setting up my tray and I'm wondering if a power inverter it is a useful thing to have or not.
Also pure sine or modified?
And what size? I guess it depends on what you want to run,doesn't it?

Thanks a lot guys

I don't go bush but my inverter is a 600W continuous (1200 surge) modified sine wave inverter I picked up from Aldi's at less than half the price of the Jaycar one of the same grunt. The sockets were around the wrong way for where I wanted to mount it so of course it was in pieces within days of buying it and it was easy to get into and play around. It's not that much different to our Jaycar inverter and it charges drill batteries, phone batteries etc.

They are useful if you have a need for them and beyond charging drill batteries and the like I really don't have a need that's why I made mine removable but on a fixed mount. Size definitely depends on what you want it for and there is really no need going massively higher just for the sake of it.

Main use of an inverter out bush is just to run a few 240 volt lights when I need good lighting and to recharge a string of doo-dads like phone, torches, uhf radio and a few other things.

I will eventually get around to running these directly off the CT battery, but I'm still to make up the cig/meter??/??? socket board for power distribution.

Early 12V distribtion board was based around a banana socket board, but that means I have to make up a adapter between the banana socket and the cig plug that comes on everything.

There will still be the laptop to run through the inverter, but it gets away with a modified sine wave inverter.

Biggest problem i have with inverters, is that the sockets crack up after about 20(?0 years and I can only find round sockets rather than square sockets to replace them.

I also converted all my inverters to Anderson plugs as that makes it much easier to connect. you just need to make up/buy an Anderson plug tail to bolt/clamp to the battery.

I've got a number of inverters.

1x600/1200W Aldi unit in the cabin. I use it to charge the laptop, camera and rechargable AAs while driving.

1x300/1000W Jaycar (Powertech) in the tub. Drives the Engel fridge and the battery charger while the engine is running.

1x300/1000W Jaycar (Powertech) under the bed in the caravan. Drives 2xbattery chargers and the fridge while the vehicle is attached and running

1x300/1000W Jaycar (Powertech) to drive the fridge off the aux battery in case there's an issue with the primary battery.

1x300/1000W Jaycar (Powertech) to drive any other 240V accessories in the rear of the van. This is hardly ever used.

We also take a Honda Eu20si 2000W inverter/generator with us. Usually, if we need power, that's the baby that supplies it. That's not so often these days - the D31A AGM is solely for the fridge and can run it for days (solar panels are used exclusively to charge this). There's a 100Ah gel in there to run the pumps and LED lighting. It can go for a week or more before needing a charge.

What would ppl recommend for a inverter/charger set up to charge a second battery, which will prob be a AGM, that will run a fridge and and occasional light or laptop.
I have been looking at a few Projecta kits on ebay, i would like something that i can plug a solar panel into in the near future as they look to be the way to go(already have a gennie but if we don't need to run it would be a bonus).
I have been trying to do some research but just don't know enough yet to decide. So any suggestions would be great Cheers

NVM after a bit more searching found most of the info needed in another thread

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back