Price of diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Burner

Reaction score
So, on my morning crusade today through Research / Eltham / Thomastown, that neck of the woods, I noticed that unleaded is sitting $1.40 a litre while diesel is still $1.59. At basically 20c a litre the difference is it really worth owning a diesel these days.
I had a petrol Rodeo before my Navara and it was definatley cheaper to run.

Cheers.

you do go further on a litre of diesel
but you also pay more for repairs

what pisses me off is the fact that diesel is a by product of the unleaded making process
it should be about 70c a litre imo

Years ago it was far cheaper than petrol. Then when the price became above that of petrol, the excuse was lack of competition, with relatively few diesel vehicles on the roads. Now that there are diesel vehicles and pumps at servos everywhere, nothing has changed!

At the present exchange rate, our Diesel works out at $2.68 per litre :pissedoff:

Bloody hell! and we're complaining.

I do think the hey day of Diesel Powered passenger vehicles is over. Well it probably has been for a while.

The manufactures sucked us in nicely. When you do all the sums (not just consumption) it don't add up, unless your doing a extremely big amount a K's a year.

I think most of us on here buy diesels for there reliability ,low down torque, water resistance and simple mechanics(until the common rail arrived)

diesels will always be the choice for heavy towing but I really cant see the advantage for the everyday driver owning a diesel, running costs are high, maintenance costs are now high and repair bills are ridiculous

my next 4wd WONT be a diesel

cheers

Last edited:
I think most of us on here buy diesels for there reliability ,low down torque, water resistance and simple mechanics(until the common rail arrived)

diesels will always be the choice for heavy towing but I really cant see the advantage for the everyday driver owning a diesel, running costs are high, maintenance costs are now high and repair bills are ridiculous

my next 4wd WONT be a diesel

cheers

Spot on there sparra. I think when CRD arrived the game was over. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing :)

Really I'm sure my pocket is healther now then if I bought a petrol Nav.

But My old V6 magna was so much better on fuel. It was about a ton lighter too. I see the price the off Diesel and even LPG and wonder what's the point, of owning a car.

Hmmm.... I don't find it too bad. I fueled up today, did 701 km and took 64 litres..... Cost about 101 bucks, which while isn't cheap I find reasonable....

They (fuel companies) know full well that the transport industry relies on it and have a captive audience so to speak, we're just the icing on the cake for them, but I'm still happy with my diesel ute for now although when I can't avoid common rail I may go back to petrol.

$ 1.74 in Darwin, which is why i just bought a motorbike for the daily commute. Petrol is about 2 cents a litre cheaper.

Fuel comparison calculator

I've made a simple excel calculator for comparing the running fuel costs of two vehicles. Enter the L/100 and cost per litre for fuel in the coloured cells and it will give you the variance in $$ and %.

Dex

Attachments

• Fuel calculator.xlsx
    13.2 KB · Views: 54
Back