purchasing ZD30 d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camoo

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post and I apologise if its in the wrong spot.
Also I've tried searching the forum and am either using it wrong or not able to find what I'm after.

I'm wanting to purchase a D22 Navara in the next few weeks and I'm after some advice.

I've driven a 3ltr and a 2.5.

The 2.5 06 dual cab lagged up until around 2500 rpm which I'm told is expected, and I've driven a 3ltr 03 dual cab. I felt the 3ltr was relatively under powered compared to the 2.5. Both had similar kilometers.

Am I simply expecting to much of the 3ltr?

Opening a can of worms here, but which one is more prefered for light 4x4 and occasionally towing?

Regards, Cam.

Opening a can of worms yes. But welcome mate the subject appears weekly have a search I rate the 3ltr as better in that form but the yd25 can be improved and provide more h/p when set up correctly.

Ended up buying a d22 3ltr dual cab str.

Its completely stock, and I've been recommend to block off the egr valve.

Any other suggested MODS or links to follow that I should consider?

Yes. They need a catch can. There is a sticky here. Once you block the egr and fit a catch can the engine will in theory just last and last. That what I did when I first bought mine. Now im saving for exhaust, intercooler and chip

Put a snorkel on it if it hasnt already got one, and get rid of the pre cleaner, then get a pre filter delete pipe. I had my snorkel fitted first, helped it go bit better and sounded ok, then i fitted the pre filter delete pipe!! Intake sound is amazing!!! And car now revs freeey through the rev range and went even better. Intercooler is a good idea ti catch ang bits from your turbo if it lets go and Helps lower egts plus a nice torque increase.

Put a snorkel on it if it hasnt already got one,

Second that. There was a member on here not long ago that sucked water in through the intake driving through a puddle. Even if you aren't planning on water play it's a piece of mind thing too.

EGR definitely, don't forget t look up the thread ad do the vaccum hose/butterfly mod with it.

Catch can.

Turbo timer is an easy one and some may not think necessary but may increase the life of your turbo. I have a Bogaard one which is plug and play, no stuffing around soldering/tapping wires.

Boost and EGT gauges are a good one to think about to keep an eye on what's going on under the bonnet.

It's really up to you and what you want out of your Nav. But there's plenty of info on the forum and plenty of good, helpful people on here.

Welcome!

Ended up buying a d22 3ltr dual cab str.

Its completely stock, and I've been recommend to block off the egr valve.

Any other suggested MODS or links to follow that I should consider?

Hi Cam.
you wont be disappointed.. BUT please do a full service on the motor, the catch can and EGR is top priority, I know from sour experience, the turbo is renown to blow, but with a good service these mods WILL extended the life. if your funds can extend put an Intercooler on it not for a power gain but if the turbo does spit the dummy the fragments are caught in the IC as opposed to being ingested by the motor.
I regularly tow a 2.7tonne boat and also have had it off road and happy to say they are a good and capable 4wd.
As for fuel usage I am extremely happy.. range for a 55lt full up approx 600k's general driving, I am not a accelerator jockie, but it sits real comfortable at hwy speeds.Put a good engine injector cleaner in the tank for a good clean up of the injectors and pump.

Hope this info helps

Happy driving Pat S

Hey guys, thanks for all the rapid responses. I'm gonna do a fill service on the weekend.

But....

I think I may have a bigger problem.

On first inspection, the ute was great, drove it from Melbourne to albury/ wodonga, no dramas.

But I've noticed it used a bit of coolant, and even when cold on start up with the radiator cap off, coolant comes spraying out rapidly as though there is a lot of pressure instantly in the radiator.

Searching the forums, after checking a few things, points to head/ head gasket....

Not looking good

Hey guys, thanks for all the rapid responses. I'm gonna do a fill service on the weekend.

But....

I think I may have a bigger problem.

On first inspection, the ute was great, drove it from Melbourne to albury/ wodonga, no dramas.

But I've noticed it used a bit of coolant, and even when cold on start up with the radiator cap off, coolant comes spraying out rapidly as though there is a lot of pressure instantly in the radiator.

Searching the forums, after checking a few things, points to head/ head gasket....

Not looking good
Get a quick check on the radiator it could be a simple thing as a blocked one !! has or did the motor get hot when driving it ?

Hey guys pretty sure its a head issue. Ran some chemi weld as a band aid... and its fixed.... for now.

Another problem though is intermittent power loss while driving, like the turbo has suddenly stopped.

ECU it throwing a 0702 fault code, top dead centre pulse signal (incorrect signal from the Injection Pump Control Unit)

Any ideas??

why do we call the water seperator and silencer a pre cleaner . they are not a pre cleaner in any way . this item is fitted by nissan to separate any water before it reaches the air cleaner and silence the intake noise .

why do we call the water seperator and silencer a pre cleaner . they are not a pre cleaner in any way . this item is fitted by nissan to separate any water before it reaches the air cleaner and silence the intake noise .

Because it separates/gets rid of any water before it gets to the air filter. It reduces any intake noise/clears noise so we dont hear it, Its a pre cleaner for this reason. It cleans up these issues for us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back