Putting WD40 on tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A question to the wise.
I work at the Summernats on the burnout track and the treads on my BFG AT's just get totally clogged with rubber. I was thinking about putting WD40 on the tyres so the burnout rubber doesnt stick as well to the rubber between the treads. To those who might think its only a minimal amount Im talking up to an inch of rubber right around the complete tyre on the tread face. So being able to get shod of it quickly is a must otherwise it shakes the truck big time on the drive home .
Any ideas?

Couple of alternatives:

1) Use someone else's tyres while you're there.

2) Use someone else's car

3) "Glad wrap" the tyre first (canvas?)

(getting a little more serious now) I don't know if WD40 will work. It'll make the surface slick while it's wet and could cause trouble with traction (as would the canvas). What about snow chains? Unclip and peel off? Do you do much high speed stuff on the track, or could you manage it with chains?

If you had to oil your tyres id suggest something lanolin based so it doesn't f..ck the rubber.

There is no speed as such as I am just towing off busted cars. But all the rubber left behind from previous burnouts sticks to everything , boots,tyres and anything else it can grab hold of.
My usual trick is to weave on the exit roads and then a few launches and heavy breaking bouts.
That gets the surface crap off but the crap stays in the treads.Its a combination of rubber and belts so bits of nasty wire hanging out everywhere.
Its only for 4 days and am happy to wash everything properly when finished.
Am mainly looking at trying to stop the buildup in the treads and we often use WD40 to clean the soles of our boots.
I know its a genuine 1st world redneck problem .I would use someone elses truck but I have mine already setup with compressed air, batteries and winches specifically for recovering race cars. Summernats is similar, we just tow busted redneck mobiles off the track to keep the show rolling

64055_10151420770452033_161818455_n.jpg

Hmm, snow chains might not help then. What about snow chains wrapped in canvas?

What about a "fake retread" ? Get a tyre whose INSIDE diameter is about the same as the OUTSIDE diameter of yours, cut most of the sidewall away and just slip 'em on before you work and off again when you're done?

Talk to the boys out at Jax Fyshwick mate. They might be able to come up with a set of badly worn road pattern tyres for the 4 days?

Hey aussie. Noticed you car in the summernats 2012 vid of the guy who got banned in the gemini (nuckingfuts). Whats the story there mate? So many different stories.

As for you tire problem i would be worried about wet weather once ypu apply a slipping agent or lube to your tires.

Rusty

Really not sure what happened to Nuckingfuts, his new ride is KillerBee a late model Camaro. I am pretty sure he never did as he said and worked on the track but I am down the bottom end most of the time.

Not worried about traction , more worried about all the buildup .Its like driving on really badly balanced wheels for weeks after.

What about fibreglass mould release agent like P.V.A ? Don't know if it sticks to rubber but it washes of with water. I know they use mould release when they make tyres but i have no idea what it is. Google might know.

The thing that would worry me about most chemicals that you'd put in that would allow the rubber to slide off - or not have traction - is that they'd do precisely that same thing to your car afterwards.

I'd go for the spare set of crap rubber.

Traction usually isnt an issue unless there is a granaded engine and I have to drive through the goo left over.
Might hit the boss up ( one of the perks working directly to the Nats) and see what he can do.

Longer tow rope? Lol, bfg's would probably be one of the worst for getting stuck in the treads. Is it front and rear that's a problem or just rear? As above, maybe a cheap or even barely legal free set, but space may be a problem, trying to get them to and from the track...

If you could "skin" the tread off a slightly larger tyre to wrap around yours (like putting on sandals), these could fold and be stored fairly easily in the tub. Otherwise, what's the harm in sticking narrow rims on with skinny tyres, apart from them looking super dicky - they'd at least fit in the tub for the trip there.

Looking at the pic of the Commode being "rescued" I'd say a longer tow rope may not always help - damn, that's a LOT of rubber on the ground!

Mate, talk to the boys and see what they can come up with. You and I both know they will look after you.

What you REALLY need is wheels and tyres just for the event - at someone elses expense of course!

Tyre shine from super cheap, silicone spray or wrap the tyers in duct tape probably use 1 role per event at about $5.... would make a funny burnout with the tape on so lots of self control needed. .ha.

Latest posts

Back