pvc pipping intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
hey guys, has anyone used pvc piping for their intercoolers?
will it work?

just looking for a cheaper option.
cheers

Not sure how much pressure it can take but I reckon it would work. Engine bay heat might make it go brittle pretty quick thou.

pvc temp range is way to low.
i would have to dig the book out to say exactly but it has been asked before. if the turbo temp doesn't melt it straight away it will soon degrade and fail.

yes plastic does melt especially under the hot bonnet. what happened to your existing pipes ? how about some exhaust piping and some supercheap silicon joiners ?? cheap as chips.

google says
"PVC starts to decompose when the temperature reaches 140 °C, with melting temperature starting around 160 °C. "

at a calculated guess turbo compressor outlet temps up around 110c mark. throw in a partly blocked air filter or typical aussie heat it would be hitting 140c easy enough.

Typical outlet temperature of the turbocharger's air stream varies depending on the amount of compression. There's an online calculator here if you're interested. A typical D40 with no snorkel mild-boosting will result in air temps of over 220C and under full noise about 260C. With a snorkel fitted on a hot day (40C) that falls to 180C at mild boost (12psi) to about 220C at full noise.

The temps might actually be a little higher than that. I am not sure if the calculator employed takes into account heat soak where the components of the turbocharger and the presence of hot engine bay air raises the intake air temps even more. I've noticed, for instance, that in spite of my snorkel, the intake air temp (measured by the MAFS) is considerably higher than ambient and that's just for the short distance that the air moves through the air box in the engine bay.

Knowing that, and what Tweak'e has found about PVC melting temps, I'd never ever consider using PVC in the air intake. If it collapses you'll have no air filter ... and likely a bunch of plastic consumed by the engine, because once the pipe blows outwards from the pressure provided by the turbocharger, as the engine starts to slow down it'll still be sucking hard, and will ingest the molten plastic. That won't be terminal for the engine (might be for the intercooler) but it'll take a fair bit to clean it up.

Latest posts

Back