QD32 overheating

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarone

Reaction score
Was on a road trip this week and nav was running fine, but after a couple of hundred k's the temperature started creeping up when going uphill or high speeds (over 80)

Took it easy on the way home and first thing i did was pull the thermostat out. Temperatures were fine with it out, and i noticed scoring on one side where it looked like it was catching/scraping.

Now ive put a new thermostat in and its doing the same thing!

thermostat in = overheats
thermostat out = everything is fine (just takes ages to warm up)

Could it be that its not opening properly?

more likely radiator is clogged or stuffed.
thermostat keep an engine hot, not cool it down.
the reason its running cold is its removing some heat all the time. once it gets hot it will quickly overheat. part of that is the cooling fault but also that thermostats block off the bypass port. so with no thermostat some of the water is not going through the radiator at all.

replace the radiator cap with the correct pressure type . the majority of time engine overheating can be associated with either thermostate not working how it should or radiator cap not holding pressure and allowing the coolant to extit and enter the overflow bottle. what i would do is; drain the radiator of all coolant and replace with new stuff as well as fit the correct thermostate and radiator cap [ not just anyone ] as you need the correct pressure release
another bit of advice is; coolant does turn to Jell when it gets old and this jell will block up the radiator cores which in turn causes engine over heating.

radiator was flushed approx 18 months ago, but the radiator itself is in pretty bad shape (a lot of the fins are smashed in)
what i cant understand is that everything ran fine with the thermostat out (took it for a big long stretch on the highway at 110)

radiator was flushed approx 18 months ago, but the radiator itself is in pretty bad shape (a lot of the fins are smashed in)
what i cant understand is that everything ran fine with the thermostat out (took it for a big long stretch on the highway at 110)
Only because it has a lot more coolant to dump heat into. But as mentioned above, if it overheats without the thermostat in, it will do it very quickly...

because its doing a little bit of cooling constantly. its cooling all the time but slowly. with a thermostat it has to do a lot of cooling suddenly, it has to cool quickly to stop temps rising.
its much easier to keep something cool than to cool it back down.

thermostat is there to keep the engine hot.

Latest posts

Back