rattling/ vibration noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay

Reaction score
My navara d22 makes a vibrating noise between about 2000 and 2800 rpm when driving. It does not happen when i sit there and rev it in neutral. its not very noticeable when accelerating but when changing down gears to slow down or sitting on a certain speed it is quite loud.

i'm not sure when it started happening because my dad has been driving my car for about 4 months. Any ideas what it is?

what would i be checking for exactly. its not just at a certain speed. its happens when changing through the gears. and its not felt throguh the steering wheel

If it only happens when you're actually changing gears (and not when the clutch is completely released) then I'd be looking at that pressure plate, or the thrust bearing.

It's not unheard of for the thrust plate arm to crack - I had one break in my old Volkswagen, I just popped the engine out, welded it up and popped the engine back in - an hour's work. I don't think you'd get away with that in a modern car (certainly not the 20 minute engine removal).

Hi Jay
Does the rattle vibration noise come from the fire wall area around the shin area?

I bought a 2009 Navara and it has been happening since the first day (accelerating 2200-2800RPM).

At the 500 km service they tightened the heater pipes.
At the 10,000 km service they told me they would fix it properly this time.
At the 20,000 km service they said they would fix it a different way.
At the 30,000 km service they thought they would lubricate the clutch linkage.

A phone call on the way home from the service they said they are aware of the rattling noise, I am among the 300 other Navara's out there doing the same thing. they will advise when they have a solution.

This is all from one of the service managers here in Victoria

Still a great car though!

titanium man. that sounds like my problem. strange part is it only started happening probably after about 35,000km. thanks for the help. ive booked it into nissan for next week. Ill see what they say

your thrust bearing could have a rumble indicating that it is worn out. if the sound disappears when you put your foot on the clutch, then that is most likely it. as for it being worse around 2000rpm, it may only seem worse at those revs because you can hear or feel it and at higher revs the engine drowns it out. same with it appearing on downshift, and this could be caused by a number of things like gearbox load, engine revs, etc. The downside though is that to physically check the bearing you need to remove the engine or gearbox, which is not a 5 minute job. Any decent mechanic should be able to give you a good idea of what is the problem with a quick look and no charge. I don't rate nissan too highly for their "expertise" in detecting problems, but that's just my personal opinion

Took my car to nissan today. got a call an hour after i dropped it off saying that the last person who serviced my car overfilled it with oil and it has gotten into the air sensor and they cannot check andthing else until that is fixed. So i told them to leave it and ill take it back to my reular mechanic to get him to fix his fuck up and then ill take it back to nissan.

The bastard charged me $55 to plug a computer into my nav.

I'm going through a similar prob on my st. its only 16000k old and has been doing it since the beginning. the only thing is its intermittent and comes and goes whenever it feels like. lately tho its been a regular noise when accelerating around the 2500 to 3000 mark and from 2nd upwards and it sounds like a hole in the exhaust under my feet. Nissan thought it was the clutch accunulator and have changed it twice now under warranty. i picked it up on tues arvo drove out and it was there not even 100m from the dealer so back i went. i left it with them for the last 2 days and they still havent found the prob. they have taken the panel and surrounds out and packed and stuffed and tied pipes but to no avail. i have my car now as going away to jurian bay next week. looks like it will be staying another couple of days with them when i get back. dammit. hopefully they will give me a courtesy car this time.

my nav went into nissan again today. they say all my problems were caused by a malunctioning sensor. they have ordered it in and will be installing is on friday. Guess ill have to wait and see

Latest posts

Back