Rear diff oil change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06nav

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Can anyone give me any tips on how to drain/fill diff oils in 06 d22. I have never done it but I am getting some clunking from the rear end so it must be time

Hey guys,
Can anyone give me any tips on how to drain/fill diff oils in 06 d22. I have never done it but I am getting some clunking from the rear end so it must be time

Hi Mate, S#!t easy to do. Just get your large socket ratchet and remove the drain plug. make sure your on a level surface and fill it back up till it starts to come out the fill plug hole, should be around 1.1 - 1.4 liter's from memory.
You can buy hand pumps from Super Cheap Auto to fill it back up. It only hols a small amount of oil so I do mine quite regularly because I tow. use 80-140 limited slip oil to. I use Nulon full synthetic 80-140 and the G70 additive 500ml. this limits the wear factor and you will notice it's in there. put it in first then the oil.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

BEFORE YOU UNDO THE DRAIN PLUG, REMOVE THE FILL PLUG. This is to make sure you can fill it back up after you drain it. If you dump the oil first and then discover you can't get the fill plug out it is quite difficult to fill the diff back up.

As above a 1/2" breaker bar fits in the square hole on both the drain and fill plugs, they take around 1.4l from memory.

Hi Mate, S#!t easy to do. Just get your large socket ratchet and remove the drain plug. make sure your on a level surface and fill it back up till it starts to come out the fill plug hole, should be around 1.1 - 1.4 liter's from memory.
You can buy hand pumps from Super Cheap Auto to fill it back up. It only hols a small amount of oil so I do mine quite regularly because I tow. use 80-140 limited slip oil to. I use Nulon full synthetic 80-140 and the G70 additive 500ml. this limits the wear factor and you will notice it's in there. put it in first then the oil.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks mate, never had a look to see where the fill plug is, obviously it would be on top of the diff? Thanks for the help

BEFORE YOU UNDO THE DRAIN PLUG, REMOVE THE FILL PLUG. This is to make sure you can fill it back up after you drain it. If you dump the oil first and then discover you can't get the fill plug out it is quite difficult to fill the diff back up.

As above a 1/2" breaker bar fits in the square hole on both the drain and fill plugs, they take around 1.4l from memory.

Thanks mate that's a good tip!! Was that a drama you had? Haha

Not me, but I've heard of it happening quite a few times, then people having to try and weld a nut or something on to get it out...

Fill plug is about 1/2 way up the rear cover, it's the only big bolt there, you can't miss it

Nulon G70 stuff is good gear and have used it before on an open wheel diff. In fact it stopped a slightly weepy pinion seal but I wonder about putting a friction modifier in an LSD? Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Nulon G70 stuff is good gear and have used it before on an open wheel diff. In fact it stopped a slightly weepy pinion seal but I wonder about putting a friction modifier in an LSD? Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Good point. But I don't recall it saying that it can't on the tube. I will have a look into that. I have used it for years even in my patrols and the limo worked well in them. But better to check.

Penrite Gear Oil 140 is the best oil for the D22 LSD
been using it for years (290000km) with no problems at all.

Thanks mate, so why is the drain plug half way up the diff?

its not. thats the fill plug. undo that one first!
drain plug is on the bottom.

140 is probably a better oil than the 90 recommended in the manual for your guys temps unless theres a part of oz thats actually cold!

Done both my diffs today and my gearbox today, piece of piss to do.did put nulon G70 additive in definitely made for smoother gear changes, and noticed it in the LSD too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Done both my diffs today and my gearbox today, piece of piss to do.did put nulon G70 additive in definitely made for smoother gear changes, and noticed it in the LSD too. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It's good gear. Every fluid in my Nav is now Nulon bar the fuel :) I use the diesel additive and flush also. When my timing chain got done it had no wear but was stretched. The mechanic even commented on how clean the insides of the engine was. Cleanest he has seen he said. So that confirmed its doing something.

Cheers

Hey guys, finally going to do the rear diff this weekend. So I have 125ml of g70, that goes in first? Then I have nulon 80-140 diff oil, 1.4l? Just double checking. Thanks again

Yep, that's the go, as long as the oil is for limited slip differentials and don't necessarily expect to get all 1.4 litres in, do it on a level floor and fill until it runs back out the fill hole. Don't panic if you only get say 1.2 or 1.3, I actually thought the recommended amount was 1.3 anyway, I don't measure it, just fill until it comes back out.

Yep, that's the go, as long as the oil is for limited slip differentials and don't necessarily expect to get all 1.4 litres in, do it on a level floor and fill until it runs back out the fill hole. Don't panic if you only get say 1.2 or 1.3, I actually thought the recommended amount was 1.3 anyway, I don't measure it, just fill until it comes back out.

Awesome thanks mate, just realised I only bought a 1 litre haha will have to go get more.

Latest posts

Back