Recommended Modifications?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterx

Reaction score
Hey All,

I bought my 2009 D22 ST-R 2.5L turbo diesel about 18 months ago, it's already got a steel bar, spotties, roof racks, UHF, Canopy and a towing rig. I'm looking to do some touring in this soon, looking at a road trip from Perth to Melbourne and back.

I'm wondering what mods help with fuel economy on the open road? I'm considering doing a snorkel on it as I've done a few water crossings (nervously) in it. I'm also looking at either a chip or a tune (or both) and an exhaust upgrade.

My main concern is distance.. at the moment I get around 600kms before the fuel light comes on. I ran it dry once and got just under 700kms out of it. I'd ideally like to get that up to the 8-900kms mark if at all possible. It means I can avoid getting bent over on the Nullarbor if I carry some jerry cans with me.

Also are there any recommended mechanics in Perth? I've just had it serviced but it's blowing a stack of smoke and I think it needs a good tune up.

Regards

Paul

chips are a bit of a hot topic on here at the moment, I myself am warry of modifying the engine, especially a common rail however the safest chip is a steinbauer as it only holds your injector open longer, don't listen to anyone who tells you the other chips are safer and/or better cause they will increase the fuel rail pressure instead which is not something its designed to handle since its already at about 20000psi. Combine this with a beaudesert exhaust which is probably the best bolt on exhaust in the country and you will get some nice power gains, try to get an EGT gauge fitted though so you can make sure EGT's don't go over about 600 when towing up long hills.

What tyres have you got? are they just the stock bridgestones? I'd personally get new ones if they are BFG AT's or KM2's Mickey thompson atz or goodyear duratrac you can't go wrong with.

You could also do the suspension so its not sitting on the bumpstops, 2" lift is only about $1200 plus fitting.

the fuel thing you won't get much better, blanking the EGR will stop the smoke but its just a common trait of the 2.5, overfuels on take off, nissan have an ecu upgrade for it now.

I totally agree with 180degrees statement above mate, I have a 2011str and run the steinbauer chip in my nav with a turbo back 3" system, New dump pipe, high flow cat and no mufflers. The power increase is great and well worth it but as I am running bigger muddies now the fuel economy is basically the same

Back