Recommended tyres for Darwin?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchie56

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

Its that time when my Nav has hit puberty and i need new tyres. Upgrading to 265/75/16 from stock. But the real issue is i'm posted to Darwin next month and don't know whether to get A/T's or M/T's. Anyone have any idea/insight into the Northern life?
Currently looking at Toyo Open Country A/T II $295ea (got a deal pay for 4, get 1 free)
or Kumho M/T KL71 $275ea.
Keeping it cheap, because Suspension lift is busting my balls as well!
Or any deals in the Melb area for tyres or suspension?

Cheers

Which model Nav ?

I had the stockers, I averaged a puncture a fortnight, I got Mickey Thompson tax 4 rib, now called at3.

I've had one puncture since.

The ply in the mickeys and coopers are thicker than nearly every other brand I believe.

It also depends on what sort of driving you might do as well.

Look at Stgeorge tires online there's a cheapie on there for around 150 a pop, it's nice and aggressive and dirt cheap!!

When I but tries I like to either go cheap and accept I can get a few sets for the price of one good set,
Or I fork out and good for a brand name ( keep in mind I run two sets of tires )

We've been up in the NT and seen the roads there. They're not a lot different to the roads everywhere else (except in the northern reaches of the Hunter Region, where "roads" should be used very loosely). The biggest difference we could find was in the temperature, and in that respect you could probably rename the Northern Territory to "Somewhere a little north of Hell itself". The picture currently in my sig was taken on the Ernest Giles Road, using the car's original Continental highway tyres.

Like the others, I'd suggest buying what you can afford but bearing in mind that mud tyres will wear significantly faster than all-terrains. AT tyres will give you good service in muddy conditions - they're not GREAT when the treads fill up, but they're a darn sight better than HTs. We've climbed a clay hill in the rain with our BFG ATs with the treads solid with muck and managed it - and these tyres have now done nearly 50,000km.

Some people report muddies lasting as little as 20,000km - but it really does depend on how you drive and what you do with your car. Here's a good example:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAEQR-Z_XzU[/YT]

AT's are good but there's lots of mud in the wet if thats what you like.

Thanks guys found some Maxxis Bighorn 762 for $250 fitted which i think is good, so i'll see how i go. And ARB 2" lift fitted $2364 hope i'm not getting ripped off.

Thanks guys found some Maxxis Bighorn 762 for $250 fitted which i think is good, so i'll see how i go. And ARB 2" lift fitted $2364 hope i'm not getting ripped off.

Ask arb how much lift youll get over standard height with their gear,
then go ask someone like TJM for a comparison? both on price and height over standard

Been here for six years, run HT,AT and MT in that time... I'd stick to AT's when it's muddy it's muddy when it comes to the black soil nothing will help besides a winch, 285/65R16 BF kma3's couldn't save me then or the patrols and lux's either so in my opinion not worth the noise and extra wear, just get stuck, recover and stay away from black soil, around town is worse, so much industrial work going on I've pulled everything from razor blades, nails, wire and reo bar out of my tyres over the last few years. Side note, if your 'posting' from wato enjoy the road trains out the front of base windscreens almost match tyres for 'punctures' lol

Forgot to mention, actual road condition is generally better than elsewhere as they redo all the major roads after each wet season.

You're not getting ripped.... You're getting raped with that price for lift. Unless it includes torsion bars as well?

Latest posts

Back