recovery point ripped clean from chassis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Silvernavara,

Just a stoopid question, but did you get snatched out or pulled by cable?

In my Patrol I found a guy bogged good and proper and so offered him a snatch out of deep soft sand. I went to grab my snatch strap and he said no worries, I have one. So he fits his snatch strap and we shackle up. I get a metre or so run up and take off. The strap pulls tight and nearly throws me through the wind screen.

Friggin' idiot was using a lifting sling he found at work with zero stretch. I still can't believe some idiots in 4WD's, bloody clueless and nearly stuffed my Troll, and his. :rant:

I now only use my recovery equipment

DJ

Deejay, who would of thought? puts a new spin on the rule of thumb, that you use the gear belonging to the guy thats stuck.

There are two things with a snatch cable.

As you accelerate away from the stuck vehicle, the stretching of the cable gathers the energy and SLOWLY (relatively) slows down the towing vehicle. The second is the release of that energy as the bogged vehicle becomes unstuck.

A fixed cable can't absorb or release energy - it's like an instant "on". The transfer of momentum - directly translated into kinetic energy - is direct and abrupt, and because it's happening over a very small period of time, the acceleration component is extraordinarily high. Physics students will know that F=ma, and with a fixed mass and an extremely high rate of acceleration, the resulting force will be huge.

Idiots like the one described are dangerous to both vehicles.

I'll happily use my winch to get someone out, but it'll happen on my terms. I really don't like the idea of snatching anyway, and if there are idiots out there that think lifting slings equate to snatch straps, I'm all the more justified in my concerns.

Hi Silvernavara,

Just a stoopid question, but did you get snatched out or pulled by cable?

In my Patrol I found a guy bogged good and proper and so offered him a snatch out of deep soft sand. I went to grab my snatch strap and he said no worries, I have one. So he fits his snatch strap and we shackle up. I get a metre or so run up and take off. The strap pulls tight and nearly throws me through the wind screen.

Friggin' idiot was using a lifting sling he found at work with zero stretch. I still can't believe some idiots in 4WD's, bloody clueless and nearly stuffed my Troll, and his. :rant:

I now only use my recovery equipment

DJ

Yer i definently used a Snatch, only used once, it's an ARB 8000k snatch the orange one.

I probably used the wrong words, they are putting plate steel inside the chassis about 30 cms long and bolting the points to that to spread the weight/force from recovery's, i will check put i would think that the air bags shoild not be afected.

Yeah lookin at the pics its behind the crumple zone so its all good.

No idea, I have driven a few D40's but never thought to check.

D22 all the way.

Dave.

They don't look like genuine Nissan recovery points.....more like Outback Ideas aftermarket jobbies.

Yer they are after market recovery points i brought them from "All Terrain 4X4"
rated to 8000kgs, the Nissan points are only tie down points from what believe.

one question.......
did the captive nuts pull through the chassis or did the bolt pull out of the nuts??

the nuts pulled through the chassis it's self including the captive nuts... f#$ks me how but they did. I am now questioning the strap it's self, however it has only been used once before that it's just i can not see how else it happend,

maybe thats why they usually recommend a plate under the hook/D.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture1292.jpg
    Picture1292.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,019
New D40 STX front recovery points

Hi guys, hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I have regards front recovery points on my new D40 STX.
1. Is the factory fitting shown in the pics a genuine recovery point or just for towing?
2. Are there nuts welded inside the chassis or is the chassis just drilled & threaded?

I plan to fit some aftermarket recovery points to these locations on top of the bullbar mounting bracket using the existing bolt locations but have doubts about the strength of the threads that the high tensile bolts go into. Probably doesn't matter for the bullbar as it's structurally supported by the bracket at the end of the chassis rail but for recovery points not so sure. I plan to use two brackets and equalizer strap to share the load should I ever need it.

Appreciate your experience & wisdom
Cheers....Phill

Attachments

• PB130037.JPG
    PB130037.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 388
  • PB130039.JPG
    PB130039.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 366
  • PB130040.JPG
    PB130040.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 348
  • PB130041.JPG
    PB130041.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 335
  • PB130043.JPG
    PB130043.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 314
I thought about the possibility of just being a tie down point but this bracket is way beefed up, gusseted and the eye is 10mm thick.

Good news that they put nuts inside. I suspected this would be the case but didn't want to unbolt without knowing. Are the nuts welded in place or do they come free when you remove the bolts?

I thought about the possibility of just being a tie down point but this bracket is way beefed up, gusseted and the eye is 10mm thick.

Good news that they put nuts inside. I suspected this would be the case but didn't want to unbolt without knowing. Are the nuts welded in place or do they come free when you remove the bolts?

Often they're doubled as emergency tow points, but not recovery points

Either a spot weld, tack welds or fillet weld depending on individual purpose.

they look like tie down points. i certainly wouldn't use it to snatch from thats for sure.

Hi guys, hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I have regards front recovery points on my new D40 STX.
1. Is the factory fitting shown in the pics a genuine recovery point or just for towing?
2. Are there nuts welded inside the chassis or is the chassis just drilled & threaded?

I plan to fit some aftermarket recovery points to these locations on top of the bullbar mounting bracket using the existing bolt locations but have doubts about the strength of the threads that the high tensile bolts go into. Probably doesn't matter for the bullbar as it's structurally supported by the bracket at the end of the chassis rail but for recovery points not so sure. I plan to use two brackets and equalizer strap to share the load should I ever need it.

Appreciate your experience & wisdom
Cheers....Phill

Phill

They are definitely only the factory fitted tie down points. Do not use them for a snatch. Outback Ideas make a set of rated recovery points that line up with the captive nuts on both chassis rails.

Latest posts

Back