replacing thermostat and housing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
ok, so i have flushed the radiator, changed the hoses, changed the thermostate, the repco one is a diffferent make to the original, but same dimensions.
now this is where i need advice.
i put the new 'O' ring around the thermostat.
then i put the housing back on, and coolant leaks, do i need a new gasket? there was not one when i took it apart? or do i just need to make it tighter? (last time i went too tight i snapped the bolt).
or do i just paint on a little bit of locktite as a gasket?

thankyou.

I have tightened the bolts once again. And coolant still leaks... I don't understand how. As no gasket came off when I took the housing off..
Please help

I had the same issue last time I changed the thermostat in my falcon, just get some coolant safe gasket maker silicon and whack that on there. That's what I ended up doing rather than trying to keep tightening it up, which wasn't working...

I just used some of this and a generic gasket I cut out. Hopefully this works, or else I'm out of ideas...

Attachments

• image-78269086.jpg
    image-78269086.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 66
Yeah that will be OK. I didn't bother with a paper or cork gasket cutout I just used the silicon and that was over 12 months ago now and still not leaking...

i know what you mean. the o-ring is supposed to seal it but as the engine gets older and the housings wear a bit they don't seal properly anymore. as long as it's not leaking now it's all good.

i had previously learnt my lesson, bought a genuine gasket when i did my last nav thermostat, made the job painless.

Where do I get the genuine from? Nissan?

I checked references at repco, autopro and supercheap and they all said there was no gasket listed....

hey what is the best way to carry out the flush cause i have heard of a few different ways of doing it

Back