Requirements of a Cat Converter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egles

Reaction score
Hey all,

Owner of a 2011 d22 currently with not many mods (bullbar, snorkel and uhf).
Looking at upgrading the exhaust for performance reasons.

I did a bit of searching and alot of prices are being quoted with and without Cat converters. What are the legal requirements? If I was to buy a system without a Cat converter would I need to buy a cat converter seperately? The systems with high flow cat converters are alot more expensive. Does the d22 come with a cat converter as stock and thus you can reuse that one with a new exhaust kit?

I'm kinda new around alot of these mechanical things and would love to learn. If someone would not mind explaining the general parts to an exhaust and when you would want certain components such as mandrel bent???? and hotdog that would also be much appreciated!

Thanks all in advance!

Egles

my 99 d22 did not have a cat.

i think all the turbo diesel d22's did have cats, rule of thumb if you car has a cat in the stock system then you legally need to have a cat when you change it around.

The cat has an important job, it does all the sorting of toxic fumes and is one of the most restrictive parts of your exhaust system.

If your going through all the effort of putting in a larger exhaust, look at a free flow cat to stay legal and have your optimum flow. If you reuse your stock cat your not going to get the HP advantages from a fre flowing system as your cat has lower inlet/outlet dimentions and cant keep up with potential flow changes to a bigger system, so it will once again be a restrictive point on your exhaust.

i think legally your need a 200cell cat? you might want to check that tho

the cat in your std d22 is straight after dump pipe, its made of cheap cast iron and like the std dump holds heat and is very restrictive
I run a 200 cell cat that came with the beau exhaust

running with no cat is illegal and the fines are massive
and a good cat (100 or 200 cell) wont affect your power all that much in a diesel

As above - not using a CAT is illegal. Hard to spot in practice though - you'd have to be a total hoon AND try pissing off the police badly enough that they pull out the fine tooth combs. If they DO catch you, the fines can exceed $10K easily. Your exhaust is WAY cheaper.

The CAT (catalytic converter) is usually made of some rather rare metals (platinum and rhodium usually) and its job is to reduce (not remove) some of the nitrogen oxides from your exhaust. It's not very bloody good at it - I've seen figures of 15% quoted. For my money that's not worth the hassle, but it was obviously enough for the exhaust systems to get over the EPA's line in the sand (or whoever they were called when those regs were written).

CATs became common in unleaded vehicles, and I recall loads of BS being spread about them, how you can't do this or that because it'll ruin the CAT and then the car won't go. Not really - the car will still go unless the CAT is blocked.

Do you need it? Legally yes, so you SHOULD try to include it. A good exhaust shop won't sell you an exhaust without one (because they are liable if they do).

Are they good? No. Not in the least. They're a hindrance to the exhaust stream - once the engine (including turbocharger) is finished with the exhaust, get rid of it. You don't sniff your own farts, why should your car?

Does that mean alot of individuals with custom exhausts currently run around without them?

I assume it would be easier and cheaper to buy a kit with the cat converter included than two seperate packages? If I bought them seperately what things should I be looking out for?

Thanks for the responses! In my head I don't think I want to chance a fine like that :/

I know of heaps of owners without cats fools the car will run the same with a high flow cat 200 cell like my beaudesert the inspections are everywhere if you don't have it your stuffed i got pulled over drug and booze test the car got turned over the egr block was not found but as i was towing the bar was checked for adr compliance if no plate your stuffed be carefull with any aftermarket rear bars also if you have a winch bar that gets checked as well.
John

Latest posts

Back