Reverse lights come and go

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c2fe3

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have replaced the reverse switch thinking that would fix it but hasn't
I noticed the wiring seems to be in series with the 4wd switch and light they work when i switch them, but the reverse lights won't there is power feeding the circuit ? How many ball bearings are meant to be in the hole with the switch ?
And lights on a separate power supply work .
Interesting one

There's a couple of possibilities (not knowing the ZD30 D22 very well I'm taking a punt here too).

Check the fuses - these days most everything is fused, and there's no reason to think that when your car was made they didn't make the same good decision then. Find then remove the fuse, check it, reinsert it (the act of pulling it out and reinserting it also cleans the connection).

Look to see if someone hasn't cleverly tried to wire in reversing spotlights. I knew one person who had spotties mounted on the rear of their car which they could choose how the lights came on - with the reversing lights, or manually whenever they felt like (which is illegal in NSW). This wiring might be stopping your reversing lights from operating properly.

Is there a trailer plug involved? Sometimes they connect the reverse light wire to the trailer plug. If the trailer plug has an issue, it could affect the reversing lights.

all the failures i've ever had has been the lights themselves, typically due to corrosion of the bulb sockets, or electrical connections especially where trailer lights have been spliced in.

There's a couple of possibilities (not knowing the ZD30 D22 very well I'm taking a punt here too).

Check the fuses - these days most everything is fused, and there's no reason to think that when your car was made they didn't make the same good decision then. Find then remove the fuse, check it, reinsert it (the act of pulling it out and reinserting it also cleans the connection).

Look to see if someone hasn't cleverly tried to wire in reversing spotlights. I knew one person who had spotties mounted on the rear of their car which they could choose how the lights came on - with the reversing lights, or manually whenever they felt like (which is illegal in NSW). This wiring might be stopping your reversing lights from operating properly.

Is there a trailer plug involved? Sometimes they connect the reverse light wire to the trailer plug. If the trailer plug has an issue, it could affect the reversing lights.
Yes will do good points to consider and will try I have a few busy weeks ahead but will post my results
Thanks Tony

how many switches are on the gearbox
1 reverse
2 high idle or neutral switch is there 2 for this
3 speed sensor
4 4wd

And the locations I notice in the manual is vague and you have to go back and forward between schematic and it's a bit all over

how many switches are on the gearbox
1 reverse
2 high idle or neutral switch is there 2 for this
3 speed sensor
4 4wd

And the locations I notice in the manual is vague and you have to go back and forward between schematic and it's a bit all over
I have 2095 zd30 d22. One switch for neutral and one switch for reverse. I tried LEDs for tail and reversing lights and after having same problems as u I tested with multimeter and got a reading of 9-10 volts which is not enough to excite some LEDs. And makes for dodgy operation of filament bulbs as well. Check voltage at lights.
U could run a relay back to the lights. From reverse switch.

Latest posts

Back