reversing in 4x4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col1458

Reaction score
wondering if anyone else has this problem, I have a series 7 D40 that is only 4 months old when reversing in 4x4 as I do mostly with my van on to save clutch, as soon as you have wheels off centre the vehicle feels as though the brakes are applying and I have to rev the crap out of it to get it to move this surely can't be normal (my service centre tells me that it is) it is a manual D40 and this happens when I am on any surface
thanks for any info you can give me :cheers!:

It's called transmission wind up. If you are doing it on hard surfaces, like road base or concrete you will end up stretching your transfer case chain. They aren't designed to be driven in 4x4 on anything without any slip in the surface material, ie soft sand, as the front and rear axles are locked together and must turn at the same speed. If they are unable to do this, then the weakest component will give way, usually being the chain in the transfer case, which is up around the $1k mark to replace. ..

It's called transmission wind up. If you are doing it on hard surfaces, like road base or concrete you will end up stretching your transfer case chain. They aren't designed to be driven in 4x4 on anything without any slip in the surface material, ie soft sand, as the front and rear axles are locked together and must turn at the same speed. If they are unable to do this, then the weakest component will give way, usually being the chain in the transfer case, which is up around the $1k mark to replace. ..

+1 You pretty much described transmission wind up perfectly col. Not an issue until you start to turn the wheels.

As mentioned transmission wind up. I gather your using low range or your not really gaining any advantage in saving the clutch. I have heard of guys using the low range to pull their boat up the ramp without any issues but usually it's wet or damp and there doing so in a straight line. Using any sort of lock on the steering will make matters worse.

Yep will stuff the transfer box or something else expensive will give way. You could fit a front drive disconnect and have two wheel drive low range. Cost about the same as a replacement transfer box. Only other options are a centre diff (never herd of it done on a D40) or a different vehicle if its that needed.
I drive mine in 4wd alot on gravel roads but i do a fair speed and there would be some give in the surface. No problems yet after 177k touch wood

+1 for binding. I understand the need for using 4LO especially up steep driveways, but that transfer chain is going to suffer. There are a number of ways to get around it - all expensive, sadly.

So hang on, you should use low ratio on hard surfaces!! Why is that not printed in 48 point font on the front of the owner manual or on one of those numerous stickers telling me the truck might fall over if driven or that objects in the mirror is behind me!

I've recently started using low ratio to drive up our driveway....... I think I'll be stopping now.

I do miss my Patrol.

So hang on, you should use low ratio on hard surfaces!! Why is that not printed in 48 point font on the front of the owner manual or on one of those numerous stickers telling me the truck might fall over if driven or that objects in the mirror is behind me!

I've recently started using low ratio to drive up our driveway....... I think I'll be stopping now.

I do miss my Patrol.

That's a good point, and I think they had to be brief about it because even text like "Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are" is not only long for a driver to read while they're driving, but it makes a bloody long song title too.

I suppose it's better than "Objects in the rear view mirror might be behind you if they're small but if they're really, really big then they might be beside you and very close so you should take care". Let's see Jim Steinman write a song about that ... I doubt Meatloaf could remember the title, let alone the lyrics any more, he's shot so many 8 balls he doesn't even remember where the bloody audience is.

But yes, that transfer chain does suffer every time. There's a good reason why.

When your vehicle goes around a bend, not only do the left-side wheels follow a different-sized circle to the right side, but the rear wheels generally follow a smaller circle than the front. That means the front wheels have to turn over more times than the rear - and since the transfer chain is a solid link, something in the drive train has to give.

On loose surfaces the 'give' comes from the surface itself, the tyres slip a little and all is good.

On firm surfaces the tyres grip well, so either you have to push it hard enough to allow the drive train to break that grip, or something inside has to give. That could be chain stretching (common) or other things like CVs and axles (not common at all).

I often use 4x4 low on a sealed surface but NEVER turning.. straight up or straight down only and you will have years of enjoyment out of the nav

thanks guys that's a lot better advice than Nissan gave me. But is this transmission wind up the same in a manual box from what you are all saying it sounds as though it would be.
I am with you ybod but I miss my D22

Latest posts

Back