roof rack help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
I just got second hand roof racks off a d22 and is like to know if there is any other way to install them with out drilling into the roof of the car any advice or photos would be grate

Not sure what type you have, but I was just researching them, there is 2 main types for the D22, type that clamp using the the door seal lip and the other that you affix (probably with screws) a rail to to each sid of the roof and the roof racks then sit in this rail and can slide forwards and backwards, making them adjustable.

I dont like the idea of screwing holes through the roof as it will promote rust and leaks, unless its a quality kit and is done properly, then they are permanent.

Does yours have 2 long channels that get screwed to the roof? and the roof racks fit to them or do the roof racks get screwed straight to the roof?

If it has the rails you could always sikaflex those down instead of screwing them, it would be plenty strong enough, if they are supposed to screw straight to the roof then thats what you will have to do, I would prefer to buy the clamp on kind my self as there removable.

I would prefer to buy the clamp on kind my self as there removable.

only one problem with them, they scratch and rub the paint of the area they clamp onto. end result is rust.... i know cause my previous car had them and made a mess of the roof. a bit of beach sand from the surf board under those feet and you got a matt black spot on your car :pissedoff:

only one problem with them, they scratch and rub the paint of the area they clamp onto. end result is rust.... i know cause my previous car had them and made a mess of the roof. a bit of beach sand from the surf board under those feet and you got a matt black spot on your car :pissedoff:

Yes never gave that much thought, I do like the Rhino RST type, I dont think its much of a problem having the proper rails fitted, my Nav is black so one wouldn't really notice them if I remove the racks temporarily.

Had a good look over the Rhino website and there is heaps of options for the navara I will definetly avoid the clamp on type

Removing the roof lining shouldn't be an issue, I know I have done a few commodores in the passed (as most aussies have), I wonder if wes570 has all the required bits, I wouldn't drill holes through the roof unless it was a complete kit

No quite true about Rhino track mounts.

When fitting the rail type roof racks you have to pull your roof lining out and there are metal parts to put in the roof and then put your roof lining back in ?

With the Rhino track mounts they are rivetted to the roof. No need to remove the roof lining. The bloke fitting mind said it was one of the toughtest roofs he ahad drilled into. I usually have a Rhino basket witha second spare, ARB anwing spade and swag on them. No problems, driven all over the outback including Simpson desert. I only use rhino commerial bars and rhino products. A bit pricey, but you no they are going to last.

Back