Rooftop Tent on Roof

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarD40

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have had a look through the site and haven't seen any rooftop tents actually on the roof of the nav, all the ones i have seen are on a canopy. Now I was wondering is the roof strong enough to handle the extra weight? and does anybody have this type of setup?

Cheers
:cheers!:

Welcome to the forum.

The roof has a dynamic load limit of 95Kg - that's the maximum you have up there while moving, including bars, framework, bags etc.

Somewhere someone said the static limit was 3 times that - so if you keep the load under 250Kg you should be fine - that's easily a roof-top tent and two large adults.

Hey Guys,

thanks for the fast replies, I will give bushranger a call and see what designs they have available for what i want. Ill post what i find out.

Cheers

ok tiem to revive an old thread for myself and maybe some others that will need ot know the same answer.

a while ago i purchased a canopy not thinking about what i wanted to set the car up for. oroiginally it was mainly just hitting the rough stuff so i purchased a canopy that kept the wife happy and chose is based on what she liked(i know it was a dumb idea, as we all expected it was the most expensive), but in that it is a brilliant canopy with minor faults which have been adn will be resolved by warranty.

now im setting for touring/minor hardcore offroad. so im now wanting to put a rooftop tent in the canopy or roof. so far i have knocked the canopy out as it will not withstand the weight. so i am thinking the roof of the cab itself. is it gonna hold the tent plus 2x70kg adults on the top? now im gonna be adding weight to the roof i am gonna be top heavy is this dangerous? any info would be good info? also i am installing rhino racks on a track mount system. if i need to get 3 bars i will to support the weight.

Rusty

Your racks, bars, floor and tent are not going to weight much more than 50kg, which the vehicle will support as a dynamic load without any difficulty - just watch the shopping centre car parks, because you'll be too tall for anything underground or covered.

Statically your roof should support about 270kg - since you, your partner and your tent are not going to pass 200kg you could even take a beer up there with you.

Since the vehicle isn't moving while you're up there (we all hope!!) the stability isn't an issue. 50kg on the roof isn't a huge deal either, compared to the mass of the rest of the vehicle it'll be barely noticeable.

Latest posts

Back