Rubbing noise in rear area

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY91

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a issue that I'm noticing more and more lately.
What's happening is when I turn left or right doesn't have to be full lock I notice this rubbing noise, it sounds like the tyres are rubbing but there definitely not. Sound is coming from the rear of the car from what I can hear. I do notice the sound more when going slow like in a car park or going threw a drive-thru.

Anyone had the same issue I'm hoping it's nothing major
Car has 78k on clock

Have you checked the center bearing?.
I checked quickly yesterday gave the shaft a twist and it only moved a little but I'll check again today now I have more time. I don't think it is a centre bearing as car doesn't shutter when I take off only makes a rubbing noise Only when turning

Last edited:
I'd say diff noise. Change the oil to start with and see if it helps. Remember to use lsd oil

I wonder as Bods suggested, have you had a service recently?, a few folk have had non lsd oil put in and had similar problems. You would think the center bearing would be ok with such low kms.

Jumped under the truck today and had another good look to find this
tomorrow Im going to drain the diff of the oil and put in new LSD diff oil in and hopefully sorts the problem
If it doesnt its got my F***ED.
and its defiantly not the centre bearing as i checked again its it looks brand new still

reading your trucks discription maybe it`s been doing for a long time and you just turned the stereo down? lol, nah joking, put your hand brake on alittle bit (3 or 4 clicks) and do the same movements, i had an XD falcon that`s drums made that sound, maybe a hand brake adjustment or drum clean out might help.

buy some Penrite lsd gear oil 80w- 90. $22.50 for 2.5 litres at supercheap auto.
I wouldn't be putting 80w-90 in there. The specs say 85w-140 limslip oil for the rear and 80w-90 epx for the front.

I was thinking diff shudder, it may sound and feel like rubbing and it is most likely to occur at low speed sharp turns as there is too much other noise and vibration happening at higher speed to notice it. Diff oil i believe is in the service book to be done every 40k km anyway, so depending on when it was last done it may be due anyway.

Last edited:
The link works for me. Hard to hear over the exhaust noise, but you can hear it. I'd start with changing the diff oil and go from there. It isn't a very expensive exercise, they only take 1.3l of oil. 78k is pretty much due again anyway. I did mine a couple of weeks ago at 73.5k and it feels a lot better when turning sharply.

Remember, remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. You don't want to drain the old oil out first to find out you can't get the fill plug out to refill it :/

I used nulon 85w140 lsd oil both front and rear when I changed mine. For the little use the front gets it won't make a whole heap of difference over the 80w90 that is specified...

Last edited:
Back