Safety Recall - Towbar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old boy just rang me up to tell me I got a letter for me ute. 5 minutes later I have a cracked chassis. The cracks run long ways down the seam of the fold on underneath of chassis. I must say it's a bit worrying considering the towing I do. It's ok tho I'm not buying a toyota over it haha.

Got the letter last week, took the Nav in today and guess what, two cracks one each side. Will be repaired today and new tow bar fitted, just in time for going away next week.

Had mine checked this morning, all ok, my bar's not the number in the recall, same as yours Hunter....a real relief. Real feel sympathy for you guys with cracks, what a bugger, hope it can be rectified.

is it every navara?

there is no Vin number in the letter on page seven

i have a 2009 stx with them numbers on my toe ball

still waiting on the lettter

If it affects you the letter will have a second page that has your VIN and details on it. They are also listed on the bottom of it so maybe the original poster has covered that bit up for privacy.

Out of interest how would you repair chassis cracks? I would have thought that's pretty serious structural damage that could borderline write a car off.

I got my letter Monday, rang up my local dealer today, can't get in until May 10th as they "only have limited time slots to book recalls in" Perhaps it's not as great a money spinner for them as some think?

The weld would probably be the strongest part of the chassis.

I had a car written off due to a small crack in a chassis rail that was repaired after an accident before I bought the car. Pre existing damage = cancelled insurance. I was told that under no circumstances would they do a weld repair.

Got mine in the mail last week. I rairly tow with mine and had a look and looks good to me. I have to see if the towbar numbers line up also. On my letter it says its only affected by certain nissan towbars with number*********au asutralian model. Think there was two numbers on there. And my nissan dealer are sh*t so would rather not let them touch my nav. Reckon I could get it don through my mechanic, he is a nissan mechanic by trade.

There is so much conjecture and bullshit around these (all) recalls it shits me.

My old man was in at the local dealer yesterday test driving a 550 (silly old fart) and he asked about the towbar recall and the effect on the new cars, the sales droid first claimed there was no recall, despite my car being booked into the same dealership next Monday for the recall. Then when this was told to him the guy came up with a story about old bars, new bars and after market installers and that none of it was Nissan's fault but still wouldn't commit to the actual recall and it's details. Instead of just saying he knew nothing he had to make up some bullshit to make it sound like he knew what he was talking about.

Yet again Nissan dealerships are the biggest problem with any Nissan issue, I don't know if it's a lack of training due to a high turnover of staff or a lack of brains when they get in the real world but there always seems to be a higher number of fcukwit Nissan dealers than decent ones.

To be fair the sales department are separate from the service department. The incompetence and lack of communication in both departments leaves something to be desired though. The turnover of staff is ridiculous though...

I was going to be fair but thought fcuk it my local Nissan dealer isn't fair so I just lumped them all in the same 'fcukwit barrel' and mixed them together.

I used to think the bullshit detector could be turned off between the sales department and the service department but with the Nissan dealers I've dealt with since buying the Nav I'm sure they are all the same.

It just goes to show that if anyone really does find a good dealership they should cherish it.

To follow up on my earlier post in this thread, my D40 got inspected this morning.
I have the tow bar that needs to be replaced and also slight cracking has already occurred but to what extent I don't know. They are going to weld up the chassis and put the newer/revised design tow bar on all free of charge as per their letter.
I don't do much towing so I am not bothered by them just welding up the cracks and sending it home. At Least they did, in the end, do something about it.
Cheers.

To be fair the sales department are separate from the service department. The incompetence and lack of communication in both departments leaves something to be desired though. The turnover of staff is ridiculous though...

Stuff fair, they should know the product their selling. If there's some recall or common clich they should research it so they can answer customers questions. Not everyone buys a car for its looks, some poeple know what there talking about and they shouldn't try and bullshit there way around it, cause we can tell they are.

seriously though how many makes and models are available in their lot? they aren't selling a niche product or anything, it's like going into woolies and asking the check out chick how many calories are in a mars bar. these guys aren't passionate about what they do, it's just a means to an end for them.

the new style tow bar has been out for quite some time, i imagine all the 550s would have it from day one. with the level of staff turn over i'd be surprised if most of them even know the model history of a d40.

fair call on salesman who bullshit their way around stuff they don't know (that pisses me off no end). if they don't know then they should say as such and make an effort to find out. i'll be one of the first to tell you how incompetent nissan are and will most likely be going to an amarok after my navara.

i'm sure most of you are the same, when i go to buy a car i don't expect salesman to know things. even if they did i'd like to confirm the facts myself by either researching before or after. 90% of the time i've made a decision before even walking onto the lot, the salesman is there to simply offer me a test drive and to haggle on price and accessories.

all i'm saying is that we expect them to know their shit, but at the end of the day they don't and we're not in the slightest surprised. i agree the level of service and knowledge needs a shake up (more grassroots) but that's simply not going to happen.

Last edited:
Mine's book in for the 10th of May. I tried to tell them my towbar had the side supports and was the 010 one. But he said if I had a notice that they still need to see it, and have it for a day. When I drop it off, I'm going to advice them again, so they can have a look straight away. Because I'm sure now after reading a few previous post that mine's not the one for recall. If they reakon they can't look at it straight away and I leave it for the whole day, then they tell me in the arvo it was all good. Then I'm going to rip them a new one, and let go with a few Fs and Cs for wasting my time.

I think it's a lot different to asking the checkout chick how many calories are in a Mars Bar.

That's an unfair comparison, a fairer comparison would be asking the check out chick if there is a recall on the Mars Bars they are selling because there was a recall notice issued on Mars Bars 2 weeks prior. The checkout chick may not know the specifics but if she didn't know for sure she should refer the customer to her manager not make up bullshit. A car salesman should be no different, if he doesn't know the answer find someone who does.

Latest posts

Back