Safety Recall

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puss-on-Boost

Reaction score
Thought I had dodged the bullet...before I bought my d40 i researched alittle and found a safety recall notice that applied to d40's regarding bonnet latches. The VIN's effected did not include my car so felt happy buying it.....however today I received my recall notice in the mail. Just wondering if anyone else with a late '06 spain build have a recall notice in their letter box?

There was a recall issued on 04-06 European made models in October last year but that wasn't for the bonnet, not sure what the exact dates are on the bonnet recall but it could be that they are just getting around to notifying the earlier model owners. My 09 VIN wasn't in the original numbers they released either but it was revised and I got the letter.

Mine was done last year, it 06/06 spain build, got me a nice shiney new bonnet, i was happy as cause the paint on mine was stuffed and i was looking int getting it resprayed then mr Nissan kindly did it for me :)

yeah got mine today even though the dealership said a 4x2 wasnt going to get any work done no matter what options I have bolted on.
I dare say I will drop passed the dealership when I get the truck back in a couple of months

Hence I am happy they wont have to do anything to mine other than put on a sticker and say thank you .
my mate had his done and they took out his strut spacers and installed the taller springs so he was happy

I have a late 06 built Spanish one and got my notice today. No fkn way am I getting a strap attached as a dodgy fix.

I've had mine done. Yes, it has a strap. They also upgraded my front springs because I had over 55Kg on the front (bullbar + winch).

Do I believe it is necessary? Yes. If the front support member breaks, I don't want my bonnet altering the view forward. And before someone claims that it's only an issue if you're doing 90km/h on heavily corrugated roads, I should point out that there are roads in NSW that are sealed, have a posted speed limit of 100km/h and are worse than the Ernest Giles Road.

changed of subject a little. old tony you were saying you got your front springs replaced? i had a steel tray put on mine at the dealer and to me the rear springs are sagging. warrenty?

My front springs were replaced as part of the recall. I guess that's because with extra weight on the front, the suspension travel was reduced which increased the risk of hitting the bump stops and that could have caused the failure that the strap was installed to secure against.

I do not think the rear springs would be covered by that. The car is capable of carrying a certain amount of weight but for ride comfort, it ships with springs that are rated for about 150Kg. My car - with a canopy, fridge, recovery gear, tools etc - is heavier than that on the tail and even the Ironman Load Plus helper springs don't lift it up enough.

Because I want to carry an increased load, the responsibility for ensuring that my suspension is capable of supporting the load I want to carry falls upon me.

I'm waiting to add a 50mm lift before I actually make the change though.

wonder if they share a bonnet catch with reno clios as uk programme "watchdog" made reno recall the clio for same thing,(reno have big share nissan and vice versa)

Mazda did a recall on the BT50 for the same reason, however there fix was the installation of a more rigid bonnet latch, so they didn't require a strap like Nissan.

The issue with the Navara isn't the 'D' loop in the bonnet as some might suspect.

It's actually a risk of failure in the metal framework that holds the latch that the 'D' loop secures to. To fix this properly, Nissan would have to dismantle the front end of the vehicle and replace this, which is the retainer for the radiator, airconditioning condenser and intercooler. It represents a significant amount of work that is avoided by installing the strap.

Personally I'm not a fan of the strap either. I think it's somewhat clumsy and I'd have engineered it differently, but then I've got the benefit of hindsight. For a fix, it certainly is on the cheaper side, but in all honesty I don't climb under my bonnet every day, so it doesn't really bother me all that much.

I have a late 06 built Spanish one and got my notice today. No fkn way am I getting a strap attached as a dodgy fix.

be a responsable owner, take it in, get it fitted , go home take off the strap. i had mine done in november and got another notice today. when done i had to take out the lower bolt and lower to stop it knocking.........again.

<Devil's advocate>

Remember that removing the strap Nissan provide and not making other adequate modifications could easily result in an unroadworthy vehicle and an invalid insurance policy. It might be argued Nissan's fix isn't great but it's done to a specification which means the argument is likely to fall upon deaf ears if the worst was to happen.

</end Devils Advocate>

I got a letter a week or so ago, regarding this issue but I can't be bothered driving an 80k round trip just to get this done, so I'll leave it unless it needs to go to a dealer for some other reason.

I finally found the time to take my truck to the dealership last week....I'm getting a new bonnet and front springs out of them......They also told me of and carried out another recall on the wheels (STX Alloys) which apparently have started to crack! Mine were fine thankfully (2hours to check them out but :S) I haven't actually received my letter yet but I'd imagine most of you out there will be receiving your soon enough also

Latest posts

Back