Sand Recovery Tools And Techniques

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a search through the forum and I've found a couple of threads relating to this issue (like this one) but there are a lot of products that weren't mentioned, so I thought I'd start this thread.

What I'm looking for is a discussion about the good and bad points of each of the various kinds of tools or methods used to recover a loaded vehicle from soft sand. It could happen in the desert, or on the beach, or even some forest trails (although admittedly in a forest I could just winch from a tree).

Of course, I am thinking about the upcoming Birdsville trip with the accompanying dash over Big Red to Poeppls Corner (SA/NT/QLD). Big Red isn't the only dune that we need to cross, so along the way one or more of us might get stuck in some deep sand. I think if the premise to use is that there's nothing natural to hook on to (trees, rocks) then we'll pretty much cover the worst possibility - thus preparing ourselves for it.

Of course digging the sand out of the way is the first step, then we have to give the Navara some chance of getting itself out and going again, so no matter what solution we use to extract the vehicle, a shovel is mandatory.

So, how do you extract the car? Here's a few ways to start the discussion.

1) Snatch from the car in front. Can't say I'm happy about a snatch, especially since both vehicles will be heavily loaded.

2) Winch from a sand spike/anchor. Can be done by anchor -> car -> winch -> stuck_car as well.

3) Maxx Traxx. There are varieties of these - the genuine ones are expensive, there are also variations that roll up to conserve space. Which is best? Note that I doubt the smooth, thin things from SuperCheap Auto are worth considering at all.

4) Heshian bags/shadecloth. Cheap as chips, but is it effective and are there any tricks to using it?

Are there any other, possibly better methods of doing this?

Given what's been said in the thread mentioned earlier, I think we can safely steer clear of suggesting milk crates!

2) Winch from a sand spike/anchor. Can be done by anchor -> car -> winch -> stuck_car as well.

If anyone can remind me how to adapt a BBQ plate to act as a sand anchor, then I'll do it, but after looking at anchors at BCF, there is no way I'm carting one around solely for that purpose.

I think it involved three lengths of chain and slots at three corners. It was getting the relative link count right that was the hard bit.

3) Maxx Traxx. There are varieties of these - the genuine ones are expensive, there are also variations that roll up to conserve space. Which is best? Note that I doubt the smooth, thin things from SuperCheap Auto are worth considering at all.
It will depend on how much work you want to go to. If you made sure they were well supported and not bridging anything, then they should be okay. I picked up one in BCF recently and wondered if I was just better off throwing a few lengths of formply on instead. A $99 sheet would certainly cut up into quite a few.

4) Heshian bags/shadecloth. Cheap as chips, but is it effective and are there any tricks to using it?
I think it is horses for course or Your Sand Might Vary. If you can drop and peg a strip down, then it is just a question of traction. IME, too often people just chuck the stuff at the spinning wheel, rather than do a bit of shovel work and use the bag/cloth as a sand stabiliser/binder, i.e. build a track.

Our form of this is actually four X 2m rolls which are strips from old wool bags

Are there any other, possibly better methods of doing this?
You mean apart from not get bogged in the first place? (vbg)

How well do those exhaust bags work for raising a vehicle.

How well do those exhaust bags work for raising a vehicle.

Exhaust jacks are great for unsticking a vehicle on soft ground.

However they do have their limitations, the exhaust system needs to be in A1 condition or it will just start leaking and not inflate the bag.

You need to ensure the bag itself is not going to get burned/melted on the hot exhaust or ripped on sharp bodywork.

They tend to be bulky even when folded away and should have their own bag to keep everything clean and tidy after they have been used.

You can always bury a spare wheel as a sand anchor - saves some weight!

I've also seen a snatch strap wrapped around a wheel as a make-shift winch - not sure if I'd do that myself, but...

I've also seen a snatch strap wrapped around a wheel as a make-shift winch - not sure if I'd do that myself, but...

My first two recoveries were done this way =)
Doesnt work well without a locker though.. i was in the old lux with lockers so worked well..
Use a Tow strap not a SNATCH strap

Use a Tow strap not a SNATCH strap

Ah yes - makes sense.

I recall a winch of sorts that was on the market a while age that was a variation of this theme... You attached winding plates to your wheels (using wheel nuts provided), hooked a rope to them and the other end to a tree (or what ever) & then drove out.

Like this:
http://www.bushwinch.com.au/products.html

Last edited:
Ah yes - makes sense.

I recall a winch of sorts that was on the market a while age that was a variation of this theme... You attached winding plates to your wheels (using wheel nuts provided), hooked a rope to them and the other end to a tree (or what ever) & then drove out.

Like this:
http://www.bushwinch.com.au/products.html

I have seen those before and they scare the shit out of me. It's possible to put a LOT of stress on the wheel nuts particularly if the loaded vehicle is lifted and the drum falls onto a hard surface.

Last thing I'd want sitting in a rut on the CSR is to blow the wheel nuts.

For the exact purpose of this exercise we are talking about a reasonably well-travelled area (and patrolled by park rangers from SA, I hear) but someone who goes and gets one of these and heads into some place on their own could have some significant trouble.

I've wondered about exhaust bags. They'd make it significantly easier and faster to get onto the MaxxTraxx/alternative/heshian bags/shadecloth or even - holy smoke - the tow strap (I guess a winch extension would also work here, but straight line only!).

What is the consequence of putting the exhaust bag under the crossmember at the front, or under the axle at the rear - only using it to place the MaxxTraxx/alternative underneath, then removing the jack?

Just some info on the exhaust jack-I had to use one many times on a recent trip down the Balfour track in Tassie. Not for sand, but very wet mud and no trees in sight...
Not sure about the diesels, but my petrol has an angled exhaust tip, which meant that getting a decent air lock was impossible. My eBay cheapie managed to lift the Nav from all 4 corners allowing me to 'pack up' under the tyre with rocks etc, but it would have struggled to lift more than 1 wheel at a time. I had to use my trusty (also eBay cheapie) air compressor to pump up the bag-so make the jack has this option if you buy one. Relying on exhaust alone would be foolish.

Cheers, Tim

What is the consequence of putting the exhaust bag under the crossmember at the front, or under the axle at the rear - only using it to place the MaxxTraxx/alternative underneath, then removing the jack?

A decent air bag (that is getting a good pressure off the exhaust) will do this with no problems.

I have one and it would lift one side of my old Range Rover with both wheels clear of the ground, so it would be ideal for lifting axles clear of ruts.

I have seen those before and they scare the shit out of me.

Yep, I thought they looked dodgy - and bloody pricey too!

For the exact purpose of this exercise we are talking about a reasonably well-travelled area (and patrolled by park rangers from SA, I hear)...

I wouldn't rely on there being Rangers out & about. And I'd pack an EPIRB, SAT Phone or HF Radio too - but I'm preaching to the converted aren't I.

I wouldn't rely on there being Rangers out & about. And I'd pack an EPIRB, SAT Phone or HF Radio too - but I'm preaching to the converted aren't I.

A satellite phone looks to be on the cards. We're investigating one of these right now. I've given some thought to a HF radio but if I have a satphone then the HF radio shouldn't be necessary.

In the Birdsville Races thread I've just responded to the other issue (Ranger presence).

I was in Birdsville a couple of years ago, got stuck there for a week with a broken down plane. Wasn't near races time but still heaps of people travelling through the desert, doubt you'd every be too far away from help if things went pear shape. (As long as you stick to the main tracks I guess).
I think an epirb would be a very good idea, on boats they automatically activate if they get submerged in water (I think some do anyway), maybe a 4x4 one that can automatically set off if it gets turned upside down?
Exhaust jack works pretty good on sand, not as bad as mud as you're generally not stuck in couple of ruts hampering access to set it up, just dig a bit of sand away.
Personally i'd snatch, I don't think its too bad snatching on sand, not like mud when it has a good suction hold of the whole car, just make sure you snatch off recovery points, not the bullbar!

A satellite phone looks to be on the cards. We're investigating one of these right now. I've given some thought to a HF radio but if I have a satphone then the HF radio shouldn't be necessary.

In the Birdsville Races thread I've just responded to the other issue (Ranger presence).

I thought that too Old.Tony but then a question crossed my mind: once you have a satphone and you are stuck in the middle of nowhere without fuel or flat tyres....who do you call?

I thought that too Old.Tony but then a question crossed my mind: once you have a satphone and you are stuck in the middle of nowhere without fuel or flat tyres....who do you call?

For sat phones you need to have a list of direct dial numbers with you.
AFAIK, 1800, 1300, etc do not work, unless they work with +61 then 1800....

Stuff like the numbers for all the police stations along the way, all the NRMA/RAC# depots, etc.

Or if you have road side assist just ring them. They'll come help you out haha

But in all serious the only methods we have ever used is old fashioned digging then if that doesn't work, snatch strap it.

The answer is fairly obvious. If I am out of fuel, I know precisely where I am on the planet and can use that information to find the nearest fuel source. The satellite phone does allow me to call directory assistance and get their number! I then pay someone for the fuel, their time and THEIR fuel plus a little extra to remind me not to be so stupid and go somewhere with insufficient fuel.

If my tyres are shot, again it's a case of "I should have had spares" and you should ALWAYS carry a tyre repair kit.

If you're just stuck somewhere, the shovel/snatch/winch is the best option of course.

If it's a mechanical failure - and let's face it, even the best of us can prepare our cars and something can still fail on them - you have little choice but to call the nearest town and seek a tow from them. Lock up the camper/caravan/whatever, climb into the tow vehicle and go. You can then seek assistance getting your camper/caravan towed back to civilisation.

None of us plan to be stranded like that. Common sense dictates that when venturing into truly dangerous territory - and our outback is definitely in that category - then you take extra precautions, carry an extra spare, carry extra fuel, don't take risks like off-roading in the scrub. But even taking all the care possible, you can still break down 200km from Erldunda and need assistance. If you don't have a satphone, it's a bloody long walk - and yes, there are LOTS of snakes there.

I'd rather have the satphone and stay where it's safe.

Latest posts

Back