SAS to do or not to do that is the question?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickars2

Reaction score
A guy at work is getting a solid axel swap on his 2005 model hilux and the bill come in from buds customs and it was $9400 for the front end drive in drive out with fox coil over suspension.

with that in mind it has really made me think about doing the swap, and with a bit or research i found that the gq 2.8L patrol has the same 4.375 diff ratio, this has really really made me think about getting the conversion.
but i have some questions.

do you reckon a solid axel converion with fox coilover shocks would make the ride quality alot better on corrigated roads?

what are your thoughts? considering the rough price?

sorry is the this front diff
NISSAN 1990 PATROL,GQ,CAB CHASSIS,UTE,4.2LT,6CYL,FACTORY LSD,(FRONT DIFF IS H233B R) 4.375

The RB30S powered GQ's ran 4.375 to 1. The GQ and GU RD28T/ETI ran 4.636 to 1.

The GU series 2 manuals and auto's ran 4.375 to 1 diffs and series 3 onwards the manuals went to 4.11 to 1 and the auto's still ran 4.375.

TB48DE powered GU's run 3.5 to 1 in the auto's and the manuals run 4.375 to 1 which I never really got, but every 4.8 manual I have seen gets the H260 coil rear end (The big bitch).

The TD42Ti powered GU's run like 4.1, TB45E powered GU's run the same.

Abit of extra info, Ford Mavericks ran 3.9 to 1 in the auto petrols other then that there pretty much the same.

As for the cost, if you can spare the money and think you will use it. Go for it.

Dave.

its probably a good price, but does it take into concideration of the output being on the wrong side? check mud4b's build up, pretty sure he said the easiest way is using the 2.8 patrol gearbox. Saves running the bigger zd30/4.2 box like i did, or stuffing around rotating diffs or transfer as this is where the money will add up. Also dont forget theres more info out there on doing that to hiluxs then navs so that could come into consideration aswell.

yeah id have to have alook at what kind of cost would be involved in rotating the diffs so that the diff line's up correctly.
wouldn't the ratio's be stuff from going to the 2.8L gearbox or does it work out good?

if i ran with the standard gearbox and transfer case id probably be better off going to the 4.11 diff so that i could run 33's alot easier.

joshy what is involved in tuning the shocks? is it hard to do?

Ash the diff ratio's you will want will be 4.375 and 4.636. The higher number will it easier to turn the wheels and easier on the engine.

Dave.

yeah id have to have alook at what kind of cost would be involved in rotating the diffs so that the diff line's up correctly.
wouldn't the ratio's be stuff from going to the 2.8L gearbox or does it work out good?

if i ran with the standard gearbox and transfer case id probably be better off going to the 4.11 diff so that i could run 33's alot easier.

joshy what is involved in tuning the shocks? is it hard to do?

ah as dave mentioned youd want the 4.6's, but if you went to 4.6s id suggest 35's. 4.6's and 33s will prob see you revving too high on the highway.

Tuning the shocks can be hard, take a bit of mucking around but there getting more common now, im sure bubs would know someone thats good at getting the best out of them if he doesnt know. If you want them to be good at high speed corrugations theyll be valved slightly different to if you just wanted them for rock crawling/general road.

oh ok, i thought if you went down to 4.11 it would make it easier and bring it back to standard.
if i got it back to how it went on 31's i would be over the moon if i did it.

i suppose it would be pretty hard to tune them, like ya wan to to be soft off road so you can flex but also stiff for on road use.

i think youd get it pretty close to how you want but theres always comprimise involved.

Where are you located kickars2? We are currently developing and pricing an SAS kit on our shop navara, if your near the gold coast we may be able to help

My mate Matt at Monster Rides - Vehicle Solutions, 4x4 Accessories, & Finance has a drive in/drive out SAS kit for the new hilux and says it can easily be tailored for other vehicles.
Very cool stuff, laser cut & welded diff, fox coilovers, just over the $10k mark from memory.

I'm seriously considering ordering the new V6Diesel D40 and sending it straight to him for SAS treatment, will just have to think of way of getting around the missus!

Drop the car off, then pick it up with SAS and fully engineered.
He does the kit so you can fit it yourself, can't remember the price.

Hilux is engineered for 35" Tyres, guess the Nav would be too

Don't you think it would be a better option to cut down a Pootrol wagon if you really need a S.A ute?. Seems to me a better option, with a stronger drive line.

if you think about it logically yes it would, although if I was thinking about it logically i'd be driving a toyota (yawn).
Personally I love the D40, although it has its flaws, one of which will be fixed (I hope) by the V6 Diesel, plus doing SAS on it won't cure all, but will make it far more capable off road, and drivable while still being a blooy good Dual cab ute.

And not just another 100series cruiser with the ARB catalogue stuck on it

Latest posts

Back