Sax 3 stage leaf springs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air bags are around $450 tops.....I have them in my Landcruiser along with variable rate coil springs..the air bags are great for topping up with a big load.

AusGuard180.jpg

Mate everyone has there own opinion on these. Airbags cause dramas in leaf spring vehicles with the tendency to damage so much a good quality leaf pack like the ones I have displayed will cost you a lot less to have on ur car. With airbags costing more on more insurance companies, loss of off road manuevability ie flex, risk of cracking chassis which leads to complete write off of ur much loved car. U are comparing a coil spring airbag setup to a leaf spring and they are totally different. Coil springs can handle it under the chassis and it sits inside the coil so it compresses against the coil allowing full movement ability of tyre coil

So how would these springs go against something from Ultimate Suspension who can build leaf packs specific to your truck . I do like the look and theory of these springs however thats a fair hit on the wallet. Ultimate quoted me roughly half the price of these. Now I can understand those who want longer traveland articulation but what about for better ride etc. Is the extra money going to be worth the effort.

So how would these springs go against something from Ultimate Suspension who can build leaf packs specific to your truck . I do like the look and theory of these springs however thats a fair hit on the wallet. Ultimate quoted me roughly half the price of these. Now I can understand those who want longer traveland articulation but what about for better ride etc. Is the extra money going to be worth the effort.

You have a good point Aussie. But a custom tailored leaf pack still would either be to rough or sag in a short time. It wouldn't have the extra support that these springs would have. I would be surprised if custom springs would Outlast a set of these. Let's say you for springs custom made to suit ur constant load of 500kg plus then lost ur job or something went down, how would your car ride with no gear in it? Or even anything in those perimeters? Atleast with these you still retain a comfort ride even unladened. May be worth the long run and may never need to buy new springs again

Totally agree but in my case I am after comfort and ride where I rarely carry any weight. Normally spring sets are designed for extra weights etc but not many built for the exact opposite .
I want a foter more absorbant ride .
Typically I am after something the americans would want . All travel and no weight or bounce.PRG makes a 10 leaf pack designed to be a very soft rise.
Would the 3 stage set actually make for a softer ride?

So how would these springs go against something from Ultimate Suspension who can build leaf packs specific to your truck . I do like the look and theory of these springs however thats a fair hit on the wallet. Ultimate quoted me roughly half the price of these. Now I can understand those who want longer travel and articulation but what about for better ride etc. Is the extra money going to be worth the effort.

kits that are designed to carry weight will NOT give you better articulation and travel. quite the opposite, they are designed to hold the leaf pack in its curved state, thus reducing your up travel, you'll have good and solid down travel, but your articulation will be shot to sh*t.

My guess is if these springs do what they are supposed to do which its eliminate what I call leaf pack slap. Which is where the main pack gars or slaps through load leafs all the time making it a uncomfortable ride. the 3stage springs create a roll back effect on the load leaf only if necessary ie. a dickload of weight. yet that's still an easy 500+kg to get it to even reach the load leaves.

Ok spoke to another supplier today on thy gold coast. He will do them for me for $1090 including all u bolts bushes etc. If I install myself. Company was AWL

Rusty

So that 3rd stage leaf with the floating shackle.... that goes or points twds the fixed shackle point ??

Can u still use extended shackles with this?

Ok spoke to another supplier today on thy gold coast. He will do them for me for $1090 including all u bolts bushes etc. If I install myself. Company was AWL

Rusty

That is sounding a bit better. Mix that with some decent shocks and HD Torsion bars and your looking at $2400ish

Which is the same as what I was quoted for a Toughdog 2" lift fitted.

The floating shackle faces the rear of car. The picture shows the fixed pin etc for front of pack and the shackle is the back. I'm thing of going ahead with these.

I honestly wouldn't bother with the extended shackles with these. They have told me easy 2-2.5" lift with it hardly dropping cause of the preloaded spring

How long have they been using them here in Australia?

If it's a short while then I would imagine that 5yr warranty would not have been tested yet....

One other question..... that floating shackle..... how close to the chassis would it get.... especially when flexing upwards while the other side is in the drop mode?

If u do get them, will be keen to here how they perform, especially offroad

Rob I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you whether the shackle would contact. My guess is yes, but I'm sure the end shackle and the bump stop would have enough length in it to stop thies contact. I had a set of ironman load helpers on my Mazda ute and they were not tightened right up but never contacted the chassis ever. Even with 1/2 meter of concrete blend and 12 bags of cement.

The 5yr warranty has been tested as they have mine vehicles using them and also plenty of other cars having them for more then the 5 year mark.

Rusty

Not sure I'd want those on my Navara. I don't see how they improve the spring quality of the leaf pack - my leaf pack has sagged completely now. It's the spring itself that's gone. Shackles won't help that.

What's worse, if these extend the height of the shackle then they're illegal over here (despite many people fitting extended shackles) and I'm not going to take that sort of chance with my insurance, because it'll be my luck that I'll not only get my claim denied in an accident, but I'll have to pay the other side as well, plus compo etc.

If u do go down this path..... I'll be interested to hear comments on these springs..... On and OFF road as well ;)

Rob I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you whether the shackle would contact. My guess is yes, but I'm sure the end shackle and the bump stop would have enough length in it to stop thies contact. I had a set of ironman load helpers on my Mazda ute and they were not tightened right up but never contacted the chassis ever. Even with 1/2 meter of concrete blend and 12 bags of cement.

The 5yr warranty has been tested as they have mine vehicles using them and also plenty of other cars having them for more then the 5 year mark.

Rusty

They have told me easy 2-2.5" lift with it hardly dropping cause of the preloaded spring

They other thing to consider is trying to level the vehicle if you get so much lift, The ironman kit in mine sits fairly high in the rear and with the new t/bars i had to wind them up a fair bit to try and level the ute, when i got the wheel alignment the bloke said i was at the limits for the alignment

Latest posts

Back