SCAM sellers beware

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Hi all just want to let anyone who has a car for sale on the net to beware as I have advertised my patrol on carsales.com.au last Friday and received a email from a person interested:
I get a text email on my mobile from a [email protected] asking if the car was in good condition and to reply immediately, I thought it was a little strange as he sent a email to mobile ph no so I replied via my gmail it went like this,

Me) Hi Step,
Yes the car is in excellent condition as the ad says it all, It is serviced every 5000km, the only reason i am selling is because I want to buy the new V6 diesel navara in January, I have put a lot of extra's on this vehicle I have owned it since April 2006. If you have any Q ? ring me.

Stephen Millen) Ok
When did you service it last and the final price ?

Me) Last service was done at 145000km by me, Log book service's every 10000km by shop, but I do eng oil & filter, fuel & air filter every 5000km, Iam very particular with my vehicles, If I have to pay 6 months rego due 29th Dec $29500 if you want to pay the rego $29200, just out of intrest I have this vehicle currently insured for $40600 agreed value with AAMI including extras, this has only been used as a family car I am in the process of putting the rear seats back in as I have it booked in for RWC tomorrow, I removed them a few yrs ago an built a rear cupboard if you want it.

Stephen Millen) Thanks for the response,i will take it for $30,000 including PayPal surcharges since i am interested in the immediate purchase for my DAD.he just moved to the Malaysia,where this is needed and i will be making use of a shipping company to have this picked up from you and have it delivered to him .Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once i have paid you.
I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP.

Me) Do you have a contact phone number and where are you.

Stephen Millen) Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buying it now for my DAD and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the goods to be a surprise for DAD so i wont let him know anything about the goods until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the Product. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the goods and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to Welcome - PayPal and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. have a pick up agent that will come and pick the goods up after i have made the payments...

This really made me start to think so I asked a little more

Me) Ok but how much is the paypal fees? come out of $30000 AU, Do you have access to ebay? Also I will need more verication of who you are and who would sign the transfer papers?

Stephen Millen) $500 As soon as you send me your PayPal email i will make the payment and you will be notify in your email that the payment have been made.Very easy.

Me) You will need to give me your full name and birth date, your address aswell as your employer's name, address and contact details so that I can have both you & them verified.

Stephen Millen) ok

That was the last email I had received I also googled his name Stephen Millen paypal and another post on gumtree blog Car scam

Sorry for the long post but seller's beware
Cheers hunter

Yep, scammer doing the rounds. Apparently you will get a fake paypal email saying it is paid.

Also, be aware, that if you do take a bank cheque, you hand over the keys after the cheque goes into your account. Fsckers can be cancelled.

So many people get done by these a-holes. Glad you didn't fall for his scam.

i had the same thing tried on me when selling my boat.
i told them when i get full payment in my account only then will i ship the boat.
never seen the money so told them to go forth and multiply

My wife got a phone call a couple of weeks ago from some "foreign" place. The heavily accented chap on the other end told my wife that "his records indicat that our computer at IP address blah blah blah downloaded an extremly serious virus and that they needed remote access to it immediately.

Yeah right:sarcastic:

I haven't had that one but I've had a few clients complain about it. Even had one client insist I clean up his system to make sure the person on the phone was wrong. Every other client that got the call was happy to accept it as a scam but one person wouldn't so I spent two hours cleaning their machine for nothing and charged them accordingly, sometimes stupid has to cost someone.

I had the same thing with a laptop I sold on eBay - twice to two different scammers. It takes ages to get your money back from ebay and relist the item.

A mate of mine was recently selling his jetski on Boatsales.com and had someone email him saying that he wanted too buy it straight away and that he worked on an oil rig.... they're doing the rounds

Latest posts

Back