Securing Winch Hook to Bullbar Help.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy222220_0

Reaction score
Hey,

Just installed one of those new tigerz11 two speed winches with an alloy fairlead and plazma rope. Just wondering how you guys have secured the hook to the standard bullbar?

Also is it worth getting one of those black sheaths for the hook end of the cable to protect it?

Yes to the black sheath - keep the sun off the rope for sure.

There are a couple of ways to secure the hook - one way is to loop it under the bar to the main recovery point and then tension the rope so there is not slack (dont over do it though). I secure the hook to just off center to the middle front of the bar itself (i have an ironman commercial bar) becuase i dont want to accidentaly 'cut' the cable if i dig the front end into the ground (ie damage the cable on rocks)

It really is a personal choice to suit yourself, just so the hook is not 'loose'. I see plenty of 4x4's out there that just run the cable in, and leave the hook out the front of the rollers and dont secure it in any way whatsoever.

if you ever submerge your tigerz11 make sure you run the winch afterwards enough to dry it out.i took mine for a swim and when i got home i run the plasma rope out and let it dry.the next night i recovered the rope back on and thought nothing else of it.4 months later i went to use winch and nothing,solenoid would click in for 2 seconds then click out again.i bought a new solenoid,wired it up but same result.yesterday i pulled the winch out and stripped it down on the bench.had been full of water and was siezed.spent all day today freeing it up cleaning it all down and repacking everything with waterproof high temp grease.finally got it back together and running well on the bench.will be pulling it down annually from now on.
cheers.
bitz...

Good idea bitz

That can happen to any winch. Some brands are more prone to it than others. It is always advisable to run a winch regularly anyhow.

I try to run mine out at least once a month and have the wife and son hang onto the hook end while i run the cable back in with a bit of tension.
Best way to ensure that the winch is always likely to work is to use it regularly like that.

Tommy

I have a Tigerz 11 12000Ib winch with rope. I found the winch hook way too big and chucked it out perfering to use a shackle. I mounted one of the tie down hooks from out of the tub (I replaced them with lifting eyebolts) just below the alloy fairlead with about 10mm cut of the end of the hook and I put the sheathed loop of the rope over that. None of the exposed rope sticks out and it all looks neat and tidy.

Cheers

Ey,

I used to hook mine on the tow point, However, I got stuck in some serious mud and had to dig out the front to retrieve the hook, with my hands, which sucked.

So, now I hook it on one of the uprights on the top, so I can always get to it.

Stuart

I have a clevis safety hook and an aftermarket bar with a couple of eye bolts on the front to hook it onto.
DSC_0046.jpg

Latest posts

Back