Series 6 D40 ST - ABLS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimmoDRZ

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm taking delivery of a new Series 6 D40 ST next week. It is a company car so I am limited to mods which is a bummer but its all good.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience (good or bad) with this ABLS traction system. I'm really more of a mechanical person and would have rathered the 2011 model with a mechanical LSD still fitted but now it is this ABLS.

Do they work ok? Mainly... how do they go on sand (dunes, beach etc)... does the computer just freak out and basically shut down and bog you or is this ABLS the ducks nuts?

I'd love to get a bit of a heads up here before I'm potentially stuck on the beach :)

Cheers,
Simmo

Welcome to the forum!

There were complains about the traction control system in the 550 remaining active even after turning it off, but the best advice is to wait for one of the guys who have taken them off-road to jump in and tell us.

bit of a thread dig but better than starting a new one!
i picked up my 2012 st the other day which has the vdc (absl) system fitted, switched it off on a bit of dirt yesterday and it most definitely disables the traction control, surprisingly for a car that according to the spec sheet doesn't have a mechanical style lsd it stepped out in a pretty big way as well.
back to work tomorrow night but i'm going to take it down the beach on my next days off and see how it goes in the sand (with vdc off)
i'll make a post with the results.

Hi all im new to Navara.asia

Hey Passage GT
Im pretty sure VSC and ABLS are two very different components
As far as I know VSC (vehicle Stability Control) combine the brakes and the power cutting of the engine to keep the vehicle along a more controlled path

http://www.hitachi.com/rev/field/electronics/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2004/11/26/r2004_04_104_3.pdf

ABSL (Assisted Brake Limited Slip diff) I believe is an electronic version of a mechanical LSD (limited slip diff) using the vehicles braking system when a low resistance unloaded wheel breaks traction, the brakes are applied and the power should be distributed to the wheels which are on the ground.

From my understanding the VSC maybe turned off on demand (giving you the ability to cut loose) how ever the ABLS is always on and cannot be turned off (was in the manual)
Im not sure it the ABLS is as good as what is on a late model Land Rover, but from what I understand it still performs pretty well if you ease the power on and not throttle it (overpowering the brakes)

some one please correct me if i am wrong
I done some research before selecting a Navara

Also Passage GT,
How did you get your 50mm OEM lift organised for your 2012 ST? is that some thing that your dealer did? or just bigger tyres?

Passage GT
lol I just realised your 50mm lift kit is OME not OEM
Old man emu right , not OME Original equipment manufacture

I wonder if that effects the VSC in any way?
Also does that effect the Nissan warranty in any way?

Yeah mate its old man emu, can only affect warranty if nissan can prove the modifications caused the issue, almost 16000km on the clock and I couldn't be happier, on and off road the suspension has been fantastic, towed a bit over 1 tonne over half of wa this week and it still goes well.

Back on topic ill note that turning off vsc in mine is an absolute must on the beach and it does shut it off completely, a couple times I've forgotten when taking the tracks down to the local beach and it's died in the arse, switch it off and it's smooth sailing

Passage GT
lol I just realised your 50mm lift kit is OME not OEM
Old man emu right , not OME Original equipment manufacture

I wonder if that effects the VSC in any way?
Also does that effect the Nissan warranty in any way?
You can lift a vehicle with VSC but you cannot change tyre size as far as the NCOP is concerned. IMO this VSC stuff on utes is a waste of money, a factory fitted diff lock would be 1 million times more useful :tazzy:

Back on topic ill note that turning off vsc in mine is an absolute must on the beach and it does shut it off completely, a couple times I've forgotten when taking the tracks down to the local beach and it's died in the arse, switch it off and it's smooth sailing

I was climbing a wet grassy hill the other day in 2wd and forgot to turn off the vsc the ute almost died. Switched it off planted boot and left 2 big snake tails all the way up.
The LSD in my old 07 was good but the vsc on the new ute is also good on tight and twisty roads when your pushing it along but shit offroad if you forget to turn it off.
It must still be some sort of LSD or locks electronically when you turn the vsc off as it always leaves two wheel marks if I boot it and loose traction.:3gears:

Have to say that when it comes to snow and ice the 2012 STX is way in front of my old 2006 STX. It provided great traction through winter.

There is an off camber intersection near to home that the 2006 would lose traction when the auto changed from 1st to 2nd in the wet. The new one is fine, you can plant it and hea rthe traction control working and the car accelerates away fine. The other day I was mucking around and turned the VSC off and tried this same corner in the rain. After looking out the passenger window for a while I managed to get it straight.

On mild off road I have found that the 2012 goes much further in 2wd than the old one. Haven't had a chance to try it in rougher terrain but then it was never bought to bash around.

I just bought a new STX 3 litre and can't wait, traded my 2011 st manual I hope I have done The right thing as I have some big plans for this one I can't wait.

You can lift a vehicle with VSC but you cannot change tyre size as far as the NCOP is concerned. IMO this VSC stuff on utes is a waste of money, a factory fitted diff lock would be 1 million times more useful :tazzy:

I think you'll find the laws differ from state to state but here in wa an overall lift can't be more than 50mm over stock, however it can be done via suspension lift, body lift or tyres, or even a combination provided it's not more than 50mm overall, with my susp lift and tyres I'm 55mm over stock but my insurance company is satisfied with it and the few times I've been pulled over the cops have been happy too.

Been in exmouth for a couple days and been very impressed, the stability control has made a noticeable improvement on damp roads and dirt roads, nothing silly but I was trying to make it work to see how effective it is and it's been good

Talked to my insurance Allianz yesterday an there happy with me doing a 2 inch suspension and 1 inch body lift. That's without bigger tyres he basically said 32 inch tyre is as big as I can go with out to many dramas so I'm happy with that.

Latest posts

Back