Shameless Sale Promotion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I remember the paper trail it was Safeway that brought it with one of the terms being they weren't allowed to change the name, Woolies own Safeway but Safeway retained the DSE name and part of the reason Vic had Safeway stores long after all other states is because of the legal wrangling Dick Smith had written into the contracts with Safeway. Woolies was the parent company and for all purposes the Wollies staff got DSE discounts etc and Woolies appeared to own it but the paper trail was Safeway as owners. But it was sold and they are closing about 50 stores or some such thing.

Sorry mate, only just saw your message, no I don't sell Macs, I think the Bridge Mall store can get them in but not 100% sure.
As for pricing on anything apple, it has nothing to do with it selling it self or not it has everything to do with the price apple sells it to retailers for. TakE for example the Ipod, you could go to 10 different stores and find a price variance of maybe $3, Appe will only let you sell there product under very strict conditions and pricing is just one of them.

Which begs the question of why are their prices set so high in the first place ;) apples sell themselves, we know it, they know it, people can't help themselves but get ripped off, if theres an apple logo on something you can pretty much guarantee masses of consumers will pay anything to get it.

Well, if you think about it, I'm stumped why any body pays for a Mac hard/software or Ms software. Both are expensive rip offs and in a few years you are expected to buy it all again.

Someone mentioned not being able to open a word document properly on a Mac, the problem could easily be the MS software itself. Compatibility is not a MS competency. It is nearly 30 years since it first came out and it has always been plagued by incompatibility between versions.

Lol, according to Wikipedia it actually came out first on Xenix, a version of Unix, first before it appeared on the IBM PC. Xenix was an MS operating system for IBM PC hardware that went all of nowhere.

Jaycar is now well known for its "farting ash trays" and other consumer stuff. It does have a few basic electronics, but the range isn't that great. Too often, if you fix stuff, you have to go elsewhere for bits.

Equipt, I hope your sale went okay.

Around last Christmas, Myer had a deal that if you bought a $500 gift card they would give you a bonus $50.

Wifie was getting an ipad for Christmas last year and the Myer employee suggested I buy a gift card and save $50 on the ipad.

The same deal doesn't seem to have come up yet but might in a week or so?
You could end up with near 10% off your Apple purchase, depending on the number of gift cards you need.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Pat. So what you are all saying is that I won't find much difference in price when having a look for a Mac. So might as well buy it from the closest shop.

Sounds about right.

Woolworths sold it didn't they ?

Dick Smith sold a good portion of the business to Woolworths in 1982, he then sold them the rest in the mid 80's.
They kept the name as it was well known, the face was only removed from the logo about 5 years ago, then the "electronics" was dropped not long after as we no longer sell that stuff. Unfortunately there is just no money to be made in it, for the space that it takes up there is very little return and even though it has turned a few customers away our now bigger range of TV's and Loptops has gained us a much bigger market share in that range.

As for a cheap Mac, yeah there is a bit more room to move in the mac books and the like but next to nothing in Ipods and Ipads, so you may be ably to get a slightly better price by shopping around, but what I would suggest is negotiating on accessories. There is generally less than 10-15% profit in other branded laptops and even less in apple but it is the accessories where there is normally room to move so see if you can get some extra stuff at really good prices.

I ended up getting it directly from their online store. Got a student discount, free postage, six months interest free and a good conversation with Marcus from Denver, Colorado. Ordered it Thursday lunchtime and they reckon it will be delivered on Tuesday. As long as its here by the end of the week, I'll be happy.

Back