Simple dual battery set ups.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok cheers, so currently the power outlet i will be running my fridge from in the tub is wired to my cranking battery. should i re-route this to the second (now to be deep cycle) battery?
and with this red arc sysytem, will i need to even wire a manual switch to the cab since it changes over automatically?
sorry for all the questions just want to be sure to be sure.

wire up all no importent items, like fridge, work lights etc from the second battery. That way if it goes flat then it won't affect starting the car.
The auto solinoid will connect and start charging the second battery only after the main battery has reached a set voltage (usually about 13volts?) and then disconect the batteries when the voltages drops below about 12.5volts. This happens all automaticlly and that way you don't need to moniter battery voltage and disconect manually with a switch...

I have a spare isolater from a previous car that you can have for $50 plus postage. It is the older version in the link below (doesn't have the manual override)

http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page79.html

hope that helps..

ok fellas quick update, have sourced the redarc 12v system of ebay for $95, fair bit cheaper then the "$125 is the absolute lowest price we can do" from redarc themselves. Battery is going to be a deep cycle not sure what brand yet will do some shopping around..
quick question, with all the wiring diagrams ive seen i think that i will use the blue wire since its there, for an over ride. it says to use a momentry push button but i would like to keep everything uniform in the cockpit if possible and i come across these momentry on rocker switches http://www.customrockers.com.au/epa...RY BLUE ON/OFF"&ChangeAction=SelectSubProduct
would this be sufficiant enough, how do they work? or is it ok to go just a simple on/off rocker?

be careful on your choice of second battery if charging via solenoid using the alternator
it will work ok but isnt good for agm or gel deep cycles batteries
the alt will never charge them properly and will shorten batteries life and you wont get the full potential of battery
dc to dc is the only way to go in my opinion if using good deep cycle batteries
otherwise just use a wet cell battery
cheers

sparra04 said:
be careful on your choice of second battery if charging via solenoid using the alternator
the alt will never charge them properly and will shorten batteries life and you wont get the full potential of battery
cheers

How do you run you system mate?

cheers

hey man cheers for the input, would it be ok if you pull the deep cycle battery out and give it a full charge through 240v like once a month? heard this does the trick but i kno F all about battery's.

yes a maintenance charge is a great idea if your not using a dc/dc smart charger with good deep cycle batteries
solenoid/alt charger has been used for ages and they work fine
just buy the cheapy wet cell and you will be fine
and remember the rough calculation of only getting about 70% of batteries true amp rating using alt/solenoid system

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back