Slimey green gb oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
Ok so I changed drained my gearbox oil. To discover it was this colour

Is this normal for used gb oil?
Or this a serious case of water in the gb?

Attachments

• image-3061296757.jpg
    image-3061296757.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 83
From my experience of changing gearbox and diff oils... (DIY only) i'd say you have had water ingress... hence the green melted icecream appearance.
Dunno how you are gonna clean it out without removing the gearbox.

It should be a coloured but clear liquid - take a look at this picture:
engineered-high-quality-industrial-strength-gear-oil-300x294.jpg

Yours looks like it's emulsified with water - didn't your car get a dunking? It's possible that your gearbox breather was compromised. Hopefully the water hasn't caused any corrosion inside!

And this is the front diff oil. I'm dreading what the rear diff looks oil looks like...

Attachments

• image-425411637.jpg
    image-425411637.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 90
I'll change the oil again in 10000 km hopefully this helps

10000 k's, mate I would dump the new oil again after 1000 k's and then again after 10000 km, the friction plates for the LSD will be ruined if left that long with water emulsified.

how long have you owned the car?

that looks like the same colour as some of the redline oils....maybe some one has put that in...

You can buy A LOT of oil for the price of a gearbox! Keep that in mind

so didnt you just drown your ute and you havent changed these oils yet??

You can buy A LOT of oil for the price of a gearbox! Keep that in mind

as above 100%

:confused3: im in shock that you never drained it out and your car went swimming months ago!! didnt it?? :hmmmm2:

i would be topping it all up and take it for a drive to get everything hot then dump it while still hot then repeat at least 3 times then wait 5000km and repeat then see how the oils look if there is any sign of moisture at all start again!! and dont wait too long to start doing that either as the longer the moisture is there the greater the chance of spinning bearing from being rusty IF that hasnt already started

Last edited:
mate i sunk my ute as well and filled the gearbox with water. dumped it out, filled and added nulons g70, drove about 1000kms, dumped it again, filled and added nulons g70 again.

the gear box has been fine apart from the whine in 5th gear, took it to a gearbox place and he said he wouldn't bother touching it unless i really couldn't stand the slight noise.

i've used the nulons g70 in a few gear boxes now and i love the stuff. had a petrol gearbox that wouldnt change into third when the box warmed up, added g70 and never had another problem. so i now add it when i change gearbox oils and diff oils just to help it all out.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Specialty_Products/Manual_Gearbox_and_Diff_Treatment/#.UiVUxzZgeHA

ok, ill do again in 1000k
gb and rear diff? or just gb?

Anything affected by water, the friction plates are in the rear diff (LSD) but all the bearings etc will benefit, it all can be saved if flushed with new oil a couple of times as soon as possible after being contaminated, we have saved industrial gearboxes etc at work the same way, mind you we're not paying for the oil and 80 odd litres of ep gear oil aint cheap......then again $2000 per hour in lost production is nothing to be sneezed at.

I just checked and found out the ute went swimming in FEBRUARY!!

i wonder how it isnt playing up already??

Have you done the Transfer Case?? since Feb when it went under??
because if the gear box and diffs have water chances are so does the Transfer Case.

No I got slack. Have had poor funds and a lot of issues personally since.

The rear diff had NO signs of water in it. Was a normal used brown oil colour.
Haven't done transfer case yet as oil wasnt in stock at my local store.

Latest posts

Back