Sluggish Startup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Karlos

Reaction score
Hey guys got a D22 2.5lt Turbo (08), With a DPChip and a 3" Exahust.
About 3 days ago im finding that the nav has trouble starting on a slight incline lets say about 25-30deg (Bonnet facing up). It will start but it sounds like it has a flat battery. Starting on flat gound it doesnt seem to have an issue.
Ive just done a battery change because i thought that may of been the issue and the fact its 3 years old and been through water.
About 2 months ago (2,000km) had the fuel filter/ air filter changed and had a replacement starter motor fitted as the Nissan Starter didnt like water one bit.
I have also last week fitted an Oil catch can, Ive kept the piping the same size in fear that it may cause some pressure issues in the crankcase, but could the catch can be restricting the airflow?

The car runs smooth as butter and there are no obvious signs of a problem. All the torque and power is still present and no problems when i plant my foot.

Any ideas?

I would have had the battery tested. If it's having trouble on an incline it's possible that there is some damage in the rear of (one of) the battery's cell(s) and, combined with a low fluid level, would cause poor conductivity = poor starting.

Other than that I can only think of a poor connection, but they shouldn't flex based on the vehicle's orientation.

This happened with the old battery aswell. I thought it was the old battery as when i tested the it it was at 11.5v with nothing on, so i changed it.

Not in the engine. Perhaps if your fuel pump is not working 100%, if the front of the vehicle is significantly higher than the rear, the fuel has to be raised a long way and THAT might be an issue, but in this case you're saying the engine cranks over more slowly so I'm doubting it's the fuel.

Is the vehicle in neutral when this happens? Do any visible lights dim to a large degree?

It won't be the catch can, all that thing does is grab some of the oil vapour that's coming out with the blow-by gases from your crankcase and it has nothing to do with the starter at all. Even if you plug the hose, the engine will still crank over just as quickly.

I'd wait for Dion or Tweak'e to jump in. It's an odd problem!

All the lights dim normally but just delayed and thats including all my exterior lights and fogs.
Im hoping its not my starter motor again.. Ive only been down sand tracks as of late. All the rivers/creeks have dried up. The thing is only 3 months old.

Trace the problem like your mechanic would, but without having to pay the mechanic. If you have a multimeter, park the truck on the 30deg uphill angle, check the voltage, get a buddy to crank it and watch the voltage. Check it with no load on the flat and cranking on the flat for a reference voltage. If you don't have a multimeter, buy one from JayCar for $20 and do the above. If it's a lead acid (non gel type) then the angle of the battery can affect output but you shouldn't really be having this issue. Do you live on a steep street?

Do you depress the brake pedal when starting on level ground? Do you depress the brake pedal in addition to having the handbrake on when starting on the slope? Do you have an electric trailer brake controller fitted?

I'll have a look at that. See if there is any voltage difference on an angle or flat. The driveway isnt that steep but i usually do leave the car in First gear so i do have a habbit of keeping the clutch in when starting.

just got home from work i would check your earth leads to motor and to body check the color if its dull replace them both just connect new ones leave the old ones on it will cost about $40 from your local spare parts shop

Back