small fire extinguishers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparra04

Reaction score
this started as a small fire near airbox
the bonnet was opened and my mate tried to put fire out using 2 small fire extinguishers
he stated that a bucket of water would have been more effective as both extinguishers lasted less than one second, enough time for the fire to take hold and with no good water supply he had to sit back and watch it burn

so I guess those little extinguishers are a waste of time and money
car is insured and no one was hurt
just a good reminder about fire safety and maybe upsize your equipment

Last edited:
john he really believes if he went for a bucket of water instead of 2 extinguishers he would have got fire out
very lucky it didn't take out his van
and all the bush and vans around him

Yikes! How old were they? I think you are supposed to change them over 12 monthly even if they're in the green, or at least take them out once a while and give them good bang to loosen up the dust that settles at the bottom?

And what kind of fire was it?? Couldnt have been that small if he was helpess to stop it!!

Youve got me worried now, i almost feel like buying a cheapy and lighting an oil fire or something to see what happens.

car fires are tricky to put out. once they get going nothing will put them out.
also i understand there is a set technique to doing under bonnet fires. not that anyone ever practices it.

You do have to shake them every month due to the vibrations whilst travelling, it causes the powder to settle in the one spot and become compact. The fact it didn't last long is a worry. Sort of reminds me of my first interment encounter.

I've done firefighting courses and they came in handy one night when, about 5 minutes north of Willow Tree in my Kombi we noticed the windscreen turn black, the engine spluttered and I could see orange in the rear view mirrors.

Wife jumped out, grabbed daughter and ran forward. I grabbed the extinguisher and ran back, popped the engine bay open and put the fire out - not before there was nothing but metal left in the engine bay, all rubber items in the engine had disintegrated. The extinguisher lasted for about 4-5 seconds but it had been regularly shaken. Doesn't mean that the powder could have gone in a little humid, which would cause it to cake and without the powder causing a restriction in the nozzle, those little extinguishers could evacuate all of their propellant in a very short time.

So what happened to the car?

Thankfully the old VW engine was fairly simple. All the wiring had been burned, spark plug leads shot, air hoses going to the heat exchangers melted and the fuel hose was damaged (beyond repair). I had spare spark plug leads inside, plus some spare fuel line. I had some rolls of electrical cable and I put it all back together and was back on the road in 45 minutes.

The cause - the brass tube in the top of the Solex carburettor had slipped out, allowing the fuel pump (mechanical) to spray fuel all over the engine bay. One spark ... whoosh!

I confess to missing the simple technology, but the overall reliability of that car was pitiful.

As for the extinguishers - if you're not going to shake 'em, be prepared to replace 'em. Go light a fire in a steel bucket and practice from a distance of about 1.5-2m from the flames with the old one. The experience WILL serve you well, because there's nothing like learning by doing.

both extinguishers were in date
maybe water wouldn't have put fire out, we will never know
sid was just amazed at how little was actually in those little things, he described it as a pensioners fart
the lesson for me is not to rely on such a small extinguisher in the car

He's not been in a nursing home if a single-second blast is akin to a "pensioners fart".

No pics that I can upload easily. I'll have some somewhere, taken with 35mm. I guess I'll have to scan 'em in. Now if only I can remember where those pics are ... it has been quite a few years since I've seen them!

Nice.... I have a small one in mine next to the back seat just inside the door. Hadn't considered using it for an engine fire , but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a small cabin fire if that ever arose.... Ideally you'd want around a 4 or 5kg one for an engine fire, but they aren't exactly easy to carry in a car... Maybe not too bad if you had a ute with a canopy, as it could be mounted upright somewhere near the front or rear so it is easily accessible, not as easy in a wagon but still doable I guess.....

You also need to be careful to not use water on oil fires which chances are it will be under the bonnet. Hence carrying the white powder canisters. It's tricky yes, I have a small one around just can't remember where have been meaning to mount it somewhere I can access it easily and not inside the cabin. Might replace it first though.

As part of my insurance being self employed I have to have 2 in the tow car (That I do) and one in the trailer and when I am up a tree lopping, they want me to have another one that I can access in 1minute. Who creates this legislation?, having 5kg on my belt with the saw and after a good 15mins to get up the tree how??.

As part of my insurance being self employed I have to have 2 in the tow car (That I do) and one in the trailer and when I am up a tree lopping, they want me to have another one that I can access in 1minute. Who creates this legislation?, having 5kg on my belt with the saw and after a good 15mins to get up the tree how??.

Tie a rope to it and leave it at the bottom, then if you need it pull it up with the rope? Hhahhahahaha that's all I can think of..

Haahah yep. Either that or if you wanna get creative you could make a catapult setup with a remote so if you need it you can fling it up to you, hahahaha.

Latest posts

Back