Smoke on start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subz123

Reaction score
Hey guys lately ive been getting white smoke on cold start it doesnt last long maybe about 1min or less then it goes away not sure if its normal todo so i do have a straght pipe from the tubro (factorie just delated cat and muffler)
What use think

Is your egr blocked? Having a few come through that look closed but when there's a torch behind they are actually open. Give you smoke on starting. Clean the maf also

Is your egr blocked? Having a few come through that look closed but when there's a torch behind they are actually open. Give you smoke on starting. Clean the maf also
Yes my egr is blocked but haven't yet put a catch can my maf is new only been on for 2mths

White smoke can mean the injector timing is slightly out (probably running the motor on the lean side as a result or not burning all of the fuel passed through the cylinder...?). So I would give an ECU reset a go because if it goes away fairly quickly (as you say) then the on board computer is probably picking this up and adjusting after start up. Throwing the ECU back into learning mode might do the trick. Otherwise it might need to be diagnosed by the professionals...

Ok ive called berima deasil im good friends with Andrew there he comes back froma trip next week just gonna have to wait for then.
The wired thing is at work the car is off for at least 7hrs and when i turn it on nothing no white smoke on when it off till the next morning it will blow out some white smoke
Is there a way to know if injectors are gone like manifold persure. I can read it i have an EDS that scans it if any one know that will be great

I've noticed mine does it when i don't let glow plugs warm up properly cold mornings, only for about 10 seconds or so.

different motor but my sons qd32 did it pretty bad on cold start ups in the morning. replaced glow plugs and fixed the problem

I've noticed mine does it when i don't let glow plugs warm up properly cold mornings, only for about 10 seconds or so.
Ill try it tommrow ill keep the reds on for bit more even when the plug light go's off

Spoke to my mech yesterday had a check up on the car he reackons its normal for a deasil in cold weather to blow out white smoke 😐.
Cause it works on heat not on a spark the fuel the comes through doesnt get burnt the resault white smoke on a cold start.
What use reackon about this

Well it depends. Does it run rough while you get the smoke? Or does the "smoke" look the same as what you get from the back of a petrol car when you start it cold?

Last edited:
The ute runs smooth on cold start no dramas
The white smoke on cold start in a petrol looks more like moisture evaporating
Im getting white smoke the car runs smooth i havent felt any rough idling ir anything like that on my last dyno my injectors wore runing nicely

That's what I was trying to clear up with the smoke. If it looks like steam as opposed to smoke then it is probably because the cat is still cold. If it is definitely smoke then it isn't normal. I don't get any smoke at all even on the below 3 degree mornings we have been having lately. How many km does it have on it?

With that many km it wouldn't hurt to change the glow plugs. Any smoke isn't normal, but glow plugs would be cheapest and easiest to start with.

That's what I was trying to clear up with the smoke. If it looks like steam as opposed to smoke then it is probably because the cat is still cold. If it is definitely smoke then it isn't normal. I don't get any smoke at all even on the below 3 degree mornings we have been having lately. How many km does it have on it?
Also i dont have a cat when i did have one there was zero smoke even black smoke i wasnt getting much untill i delated the cat and then i started to get the smoke but it doesnt even last a minute thats the puzzle lol

Latest posts

Back