Snorkel sounds like a truck

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morticus

Reaction score
I installed my snorkel this afternoon, had a fight with a hole saw, wore down 2 batteries in the cordless and burnt out a black and decker corded drill. Happy to say i wont ever bother doing it myself again, and ill pay someone next time. On a brighter note, it is fully sealed, except or the drain hole in the bottom of the filter box, which i will plug when needed. Now she sounds like a truck, or a big lifted patrol with a 3" exhaust. Anyone elses sound really loud? I dont mind it at all, but might look for a baffle somewhere down the track.

Thanks to cyc10n for his invaluable help!

wish mine sounded like a big patrol. I have a snorkle but mine just sounds normal I think. Well haven't herd it without one. But it sounds normal. What should it sound like?

turn the head around...thats noisy. dont even bother try talking with the window down.

didnt get much noise out of a 2 3/4" exhaust but the snorkel made up for it..

i even pay tolls just to drive through tunnels.:rock:

Hahaha yeah the o-ring that holds the ram in place snapped when i was doing it up, so it was just sitting on there facing backwards. Super loud with the window down... off to get a new stainless clamp today. When i put my hand over the pipe the engine almost stopped so thats a good sign i have sealed it up properly.

Im wondering, if a small abount of water did manage to work its way through the air filter, it would be a fine mist yeah? Then if it went anywhere near a hot turbo, would vaporize before it even touched it. Would it destroy the turbo? Cause then it would pass through the front mount and would likely get stuck in the front mount intercooler before reaching the engine... Im guessing a turbo would blow up before the engine had a chance to seize. Am i correct?

i often thought about same thing . we put snorkel on 4 two reasons 1 cool air and 2 to get that air from above the waterline but what happens when your driving at say 60 ks in a heavy downpoor is it just like driving into a wall of water. as for turbo failure the procces you discribe is about right

i would imagine that if rain going thru a snorkle causes engine failure you'd hear more about it?
Iv got a factory fitted snorkle, and i like to think of driving in the rain as free water injection!
I dont know if its good or bad or just psychological but the motor seems crisper in the rain.
Right or wrong I like flooring it into a headwind in heavy rain in the hope that it steam cleans the some of the sludge out of my inlet plumbing.
As for snorkle noise, mine just sounds like wind noise :( wtf is with that?

yeah i agree about the rain thing i just thought id throw it out there , mine sounds like forced induction

Im wondering, if a small abount of water did manage to work its way through the air filter, it would be a fine mist yeah? Then if it went anywhere near a hot turbo, would vaporize before it even touched it. Would it destroy the turbo? Cause then it would pass through the front mount and would likely get stuck in the front mount intercooler before reaching the engine... Im guessing a turbo would blow up before the engine had a chance to seize. Am i correct?

The process you describe would be about right, although the compressor of the turbocharger is cooled substantially by the incoming air which above 60km/h is close enough to ambient (I've been watching the difference in mine at various speeds). I still wouldn't want to dump gobs of water on the turbo, but a mist drawn through the paper filter in small amounts shouldn't cause it too much trouble. It will probably wreck the filter though, so keeping an eye on it wouldn't be a bad thing.

That said, I've not had any issues despite driving in downpours so heavy that 20km/h seems fast and the only reason you can see the car in front is because their hazard lights are flashing.

i would imagine that if rain going thru a snorkle causes engine failure you'd hear more about it?
Iv got a factory fitted snorkle, and i like to think of driving in the rain as free water injection!
I dont know if its good or bad or just psychological but the motor seems crisper in the rain.
Right or wrong I like flooring it into a headwind in heavy rain in the hope that it steam cleans the some of the sludge out of my inlet plumbing.
As for snorkle noise, mine just sounds like wind noise :( wtf is with that?

I haven't heard or experienced failures from driving in the rain no matter how heavy.

You'll get a noticeable amount of gain from having the intercooler wet. Water will evaporate off the surface causing the metal to cool, making the heat transfer from the passing airstream inside more efficient.

Can't you turn the snorkel intake around in the case of heavy downpour or extreme dust?

Yes you can but it will not really effect it. rain isnt an issue and as for duat it will suck it in as it comes past the head if facing back wards. i tryed it on my old ute it made a bit of difference around town but on a dirt road following someone it sucks just as much dust rear facing as forwards

On a brighter note, it is fully sealed, except or the drain hole in the bottom of the filter box, which i will plug when needed

Why, after all the talk and worry about driving in the rain (re water into engine) would you block of the WATER DRAIN HOLE in the airbox, it is there, for one reason only, to let water out.

You may be thinking it will also let water in, but dont worry, the engine will still be able to get air easier in through the big open snorkel without the air box filling up with water.

Unless I was going to cross a water crossing which was very very long, I doubt I would worry about blocking the drain.

I have had water up over the windscreen wipers ( half way up the door mirrors) on my 79series cruiser ute, this ute had a 75mm lift and 35" rubber. water did not get in the engine, and yes the air box had a big drain I put in it as I did a lot of foul weather, dust (mine sites) and wanted to be able to wash the airbox out. the water I crossed was still flood water about 12 months ago and was over 600 meters long, I was in 2nd gear low range (foot to the floor) and just making way, the water had so much resistance on the ute, I had to drain my toolboxes out, the cab got about 2" of water in, but the engine was perfect, not one issue.

the engine will draw in air before water as it it easier, only when no air is available will it suck up the water.

Mine is pretty quiet when i open the passenger window you can hear it but nothing i expected ,was hoping a bit more induction noise.

Ive just worked out if i accelerate from 1000 rpm while in gear and let go before 1800 rpm, i get the full waste gate sound. Done it a few times while driving past people and they get a shock to see its a Nav and not a rice burner. Love the extra noise now, and pretty sure i got a power increase too. Im sure it would be even louder if the FMIC piping was stainless instead of rubber.

It's not waste gate mate. It's called compressor surge and it's bad for your turbo

Oh really? Sounds lust like a wastegate, but not the full sound of a blow off valve. Since it isnt good for my turbo, i shall refrain from scaring people in the woolies carpark.

Latest posts

Back