Snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subz123

Reaction score
Ok guys i have an question.
Is it true that the aftermarket snorkels restrict air flow?
Thats why thw safari or the stainless steal is recommended coz of the bigger pipe ir something like that ??

I think people just say safari or stainless is cos they look cooler or a brand name.. My ebay 95 dollar snorkel works great and I'm happy with it..

Depends on a lot of factors:

I found the stock Nissan snorkel to be very restrictive with the way it bends back on itself. It does however allow you to run a dual battery setup under the bonnet so many of the guys like it for this reason.

The choice of air filter is also another important factor, a K&N airfilter is going to be less restrictive than a paper filter.

Boost also plays an important role. If you are running the turbo at above 20psi then you will need to start looking at a 3 - 4" free flowing snorkel with minimal bends and a large air box running a bigger air filter element.

The actual improvement in power may only be 5kw but the turbo will spool a hell of a lot quicker

Thanks boys dilmah good info im boosting at 16 psi now i do have an aftermarket snorkel on but i was told its restricting airfow coz the tube is to small what use reackon

safari snorkel where the ram joins is 3inch right?
The uv rating in the plastic iwas told, is second to none, so the price skyrockets

It won't make much difference with 16psi, they run 15psi stock.

When I upgraded my stock nissan snorkel to the the 4" stainless and custom air box, yes I did notice a small difference, the turbo spooled a little quicker. However I am running 23 psi, big W2A intercooler and a few other things. I needed this size piping to flow the required air amount. I don't believe you will need this until you start pushing the boost into the 20's

I do plane to boost it to 20 psi in the next 2 weeks dilmah do u reackon i have to change my air box? And what do u change it to

I wouldn't bother man. I ran the stock snorkel/airbox for over a year with good results

No point buying a smaller restrictive snorkel for$100 if you plan on tricking your truck and buying a bigger one later. Id guess the safari one would be fine from stock to when you decide you wanted to spend up big.
Good Luck

i am running a $90 ebay special myself with no problems, why they sell them with the stupid shaped pipe from the air box into the first hole in the guard is just retarded if you ask me, they should sell th snorkel with the pipe from the air box like the later 2.5 models so you can fit a battery and even make it slightly bigger would be no problem.
If you want maximum air flow i would say drill your inner guard and run straight from your air box and use some PVC fitting or flex hose to connect directly to the snorkel without taking the long path, i have seen a couple of photo's on here where this has been done and it looks good and practical.
Nick

Sorry for digging up old thread but Any pics of this straight through version , makes sense to me than all the bends . I'm doing mine hopefully soon 2008 st/r-cr .... I got rvtek one off ebay $120 I think . Anyone used them ?

Latest posts

Back