Snorkels on town cars

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke48

Reaction score
OK, so confusion reigns and I need some help with sensible advice. I drive the streets of virtually every town in Eastern Oz and see countless 4wd's with snorkels on vehicles that undoubtedly never see a river crossing or bulldust. They all have their intakes facing forward and must serve beautifully as rainwater scoops in a good downpour soooooo....

How come these things are a good thing if they scoop water or moisture straight into (by-passing whatever water-in-the-fuel filtering device you might have installed) the engine? I am reminding myself that Nissan etc. must have had some plan when they DIDN'T locate the primary air intake to the engine outside the engine bay and exposed to that downpour.

On the other hand, how come I read about the efficiencies of water vapour being introduced to the combustion chambers of diesels as a good thing? Is there a link here?

I am trying to find an alternative to "They just look horny" when I see so many of them on Mum's pre-school bus in the suburbs.

Like you said "They look horny",but the Safari has water separators on the ram the Airtec,Tjm,ect do not and as you say most never see anything more than a wet speed bump.

If you crack open your air filter, you'll find a small hole in the bottom that will let the water out. Airtecs have a groove at the rear of the head that should allow rain out too.

We've driven in some really awful downpours and our air filter has remained dry.

Now, for an about-town car - there's still an advantage in having a snorkel. Your intake air is heated up by the hot engine (measured by the MAFS which is pre-turbo). It can reach 30C above ambient (that I've seen - I suppose it could get higher). Drawing the air in from outside the engine bay gives you cooler, denser air which aids combustion.

I won't disagree about the wank factor there - but they aren't alone. You have to ask why a Holden ute needs 18 antennae, 8 driving lights and a bullbar off a Western Star.

I like the looks of the tjm ones & Nissan use them too.
All Snorkels have some sort of run off grove that keep water out...

I find it's a wank factor. If you add a lift and Mud tires you look like your into 4wding. But only up close. Where if you see a Snorkel from a far you think thats a 4wd.

Mine I have Bull bar, lights, Lift & Aggressive A/T but NO snorkel and It looks soft. But once I add a snokel it will look tough...... I'm going TJM as it hugs the car.

As OT has said, there is a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox.

I have a Nissan/Airtec although if I had my time again, would have a Safari, despite the fact I think they are ugly.

After taking it back to the dealer to have it sealed properly, they removed the bit of foam in the side apron and used polyurethane to seal the ducting from the airbox to that inside the guard. Given that there is no flexible ducting joining these bits, vibration from the motor though to the airbox has compromised the joint. I have resealed it and will see how it goes but suspect that over time, these parts will separate again.

IMO the way the Safari is designed better and the fitting instructions suggest that it is designed to be watertight. I really don't think the same can be said for the Nissan snorkel.

Found one.

attachment.php

They didn't need a snorkel either.

Attachments

• r689100_5171260.JPG
    r689100_5171260.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 908
As OT has said, there is a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox.

I have a Nissan/Airtec although if I had my time again, would have a Safari, despite the fact I think they are ugly.

After taking it back to the dealer to have it sealed properly, they removed the bit of foam in the side apron and used polyurethane to seal the ducting from the airbox to that inside the guard. Given that there is no flexible ducting joining these bits, vibration from the motor though to the airbox has compromised the joint. I have resealed it and will see how it goes but suspect that over time, these parts will separate again.

IMO the way the Safari is designed better and the fitting instructions suggest that it is designed to be watertight. I really don't think the same can be said for the Nissan snorkel.

Tjm make the nissan ones to Nissan specs. And Nissan don't call them Snokels they are rasied intakes. LOL. So no need for them to be sealed....... But the TJM are Snokels and they must be sealed.

And that's why they want bullbars banned ,

Not complete correct on that one. Its any type of bar on any car. You got to remember that most of the protests are from people wouldn't know a 5post from a nudge bar....... And sure bars like that look good but are over kill around town. But is most big Citys any bar is over kill. I would rather be hitt by a big 5 post bar as it wont push you under the car. The ARB style will.

that should not be allowed on our roads
fkin ridiculous

People would say the same about a 5 inch lifted Nav with Artic whels and guards as well.

Each to their own, as long as it is safe we are all car enthusiasts.

Except people who buy great Wall utes and put spoiler kits on them, they are wankers.

People would say the same about a 5 inch lifted Nav with Artic whels and guards as well.

Except people who buy great Wall utes and put spoiler kits on them, they are wankers.

HA!! i just nearly choked on my coffee when i read that!!

:jackoff:

Except people who buy Great Wall utes and put spoiler kits on them, they are wankers.

Very True........

Love it! Id have it in a heartbeat if I lived out bush. Each to their own

Mate stuff living out bush I'll have it in town. Speed humps might be a problem tho. But I'm from Canberra thos things are eveywhere.... One of those with a big stroked LS1 zooming down the drags on wednesday night in Sydney be awesome to see.

When I fitted my Ironman snorkel i sealed up the drain hole in the bottom with a bit of Silicone.

Is this probably not a good idea?

I have opened the air box a few times and you can see a slight amount of moisture has been in there.

Latest posts

Back