Solar Power for home

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not want to take away from this forum, but if you want a mountain of information, then try
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
Go down to Lounges; Home, sub-forum Green and read till you drop.
Best place I've found.

Since I'm in NSW, it will probably remain just theory as our gross feed in tariff has dropped from 60c/KWHr to 20s/KWHr. Dang, was going to use the rest of the super to load the roof up.

When are you lads going to vote that stupid woman out. How does reducing the tariffs, thus reducing the solar take up help people. All solar systems do is lower power bills, thus lowering government cash flow. Thus lowering available funds for ministerial pensions.

Next election isnt too far away....she's on borrowed time. Maybe they should offset people powerbill with the roll out of the 40 new mobile speed camera's.......the current 6 in use in the state have already put dollar signs in their eyes. Might have to buy shares in that company.

System (3.5kw) has been installed for a billing cycle now. Had a few dramas early on with the inverters overheating. All good now - system generates on average 18 - 20 kwh each day.

first bill was reduced by $240 and that was with on 30 days on the "payback" cycle - only had the smart meter installed for the last 30 days of the billing cycle.

If my calculations are correct - the system should totally erase my power bill. Time will tell.

We would love to be electric only!

I live on a shared property with my mother, before then my wife and I lived in metro Melbourne and had gas everything. The only thing on gas where we are now is hot water and it is bottled gas. It used to cost more per two months (Any two) for hot water than it did to run everything on gas in the Melbourne property when it was two people each place.

Time for solar hot water methinks. the only thing that is irking me is that ideally I would like solar hot water with a heat pump booster, but I have not been able to find any one who makes that. Plenty of standard electric boost and plenty of gas boost (Which would be workable if we were on town gas but we want to get rid of the bottles)

I had lost track of this thread, still crystal ball gazing about when LED lighting will be mainstream enough to make the change. There are mobs out there now with 9W MR16 downlights supposedly using CREE modules at around $20. Not sure that I will jump on those but them coming in to the market should mean that 3W for $50 should soon be a thing of the past. They are inching ever closer to a true 50W halogen drop in replacement.

Unfortunately it has also made me look at CREE troffers for my shed. I have not been brave enough to try to find a price on them yet.

I put all LED downlights in my place, they're not bad, but I only did it because I get them at the right price and can do the electrical work myself. Whilst I think we should do what we can to save energy, I think spending considerable money on lighting is not really the best way to direct your energy efficiency budget. You'd be better off getting the solar HWS with heat pump booster, and/or spending money on a really efficient fridge, air conditioning and/or heating (and insulation obviously). After all, that's where like 90% of your energy costs come from. Obviously it all depends on what gear you've already got, and you seem to know what you're talking about - t'was mainly for the benefit of the lay folk out there who might be having the same decisions.

The biggest energy savings are actually passive measures, such as insulation, or better still, designing your house using materials with high thermal densities etc. Here in Australia, we are pretty terrible at designing inherently energy efficient houses. We build the house to look as good as we can, as cheap as we can, to be as big as we can afford, and then any energy efficiency measures are usually only the mandatory ones, or token measures. I would like to see it the other way around where we make the house as energy efficient and the best use of space possible, and think about aesthetics secondly. We're getting there with commercial buildings - domestic still has a looooong way to go. I blame project builders - people don't put any thought into houses because they just pick a design out of the catalogue with no regard as to it's inherent efficiency qualities or integration with the surrounding environment etc.

The "green" thing really has turned into a bit of a farce in a lot of ways, your average punter doesn't truly understand what energy efficiency is, they think if they put in some compact fluro lamps and whack a PV setup on their roof they're "green", but they've probably got a rusty old electric HWS burning away in the background, and a cheap Chinese air conditioner rattling away in their uninsulated brick hot box. And really, I mean it's not their fault because no one in the public arena is making any effort to educate them, you've got watermelons like Bob Brown and co spruking rhetoric, so everyone just does what they "think" is green without actually knowing the science behind it and the actual results.

end rant.

The biggest energy savings are actually passive measures, such as insulation, or better still, designing your house using materials with high thermal densities etc.

Chuckle, I can remember going looking for roof bats and wanting R2.0 to be thought mad. "You only need R1". Now R4 is standard(?)

NSW dropped all the energy efficency requirements for new houses as it was adding $5K to the price. WTF?

The biggest energy savings are actually passive measures, such as insulation, or better still, designing your house using materials with high thermal densities etc. Here in Australia, we are pretty terrible at designing inherently energy efficient houses. We build the house to look as good as we can, as cheap as we can, to be as big as we can afford, and then any energy efficiency measures are usually only the mandatory ones, or token measures. I would like to see it the other way around where we make the house as energy efficient and the best use of space possible, and think about aesthetics secondly. We're getting there with commercial buildings - domestic still has a looooong way to go. I blame project builders - people don't put any thought into houses because they just pick a design out of the catalogue with no regard as to it's inherent efficiency qualities or integration with the surrounding environment etc.

The "green" thing really has turned into a bit of a farce in a lot of ways,
end rant.

Well WIR35, Talk about hitting the nail on the proverbial. Owner builders finance permitting which is very iffy at the moment, we are building almost exactly what you are ranting about. Apart from efficient space use, as the covenant here requires Mcmansion dimensions, we have plans for a high mass, sandstone or limestone clad, solid concrete walled house with real generous eaves and some internal concrete walls for more thermal mass. We are owner building because no balloon framed, brickveneered, no-eaved, built to a price, cant take a risk, highly leveraged builder will do more than say, good luck with that.
To use the forum vernacular, before you all "jump on me" about vapour transmission and other concrete issues have a look at Dincel Construction System. Google it. too late to do hypeduplinks.
I think you are dead on the money. The greenwash industry is skewing the whole conversation away from the truth.
As a SEQ solution it is clear to us that being thermally connected to the ground is the way to go. We currently live in a two level townhouse that has one side subgrade to the neighbours by about 1.6 metres. This earth connection across about 11 metres of our loungeroom keeps the whole downstairs liveable for most of the year. The upstairs is unbearable in summer. (ex Vic boy, i'm soft i know). Even for a soft ex Victorian, true dinks, we run the split sys a/c maybe five to ten times on the worst stinking humid days and that's it.
getting back to the thread topic, solar for us is a later consideration as we are investing a bit extra to build a house that actually suits the climate. Our ground temp in Greenbank is a cozy 18C year round at 60cm below the surface. Using the poor insulating properties of concrete we should be able to connect that ground mass to the walls, thereby passively cooling the internal air.

Last edited:
And we have covered the risk of excess solar gain on the external surfaces through various design components that i wont bother going into unless someone is curious.

Latest posts

Back