Sons first 4WD- $10K budget, recomendations please.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris C

Reaction score
Hi,

My son is a few months off getting his licence and has started looking at dual cab 4x4 utes, he is over 6'3" tall at 16, so he needs the extra room a dual or extra cab will give him, he has $10k saved to spend.

What is he going to get in a Turbo Deisel Navara dual cab for that?
What models should he not look at?
Are there any Dog models out there?

We have looked at a couple of 2001-2005 Courier twin cabs with the 2.5 intercooler engine, they range from 10-13K and seem like an OK thing, but he is open to anything other than Holden. He has Ford Blue blood, but will do a Nissan or Toyota.

Any tips on used Nissans would be great.

Thanks

I just noticed you said turbo diesel D22 crew cab. It's my guess that you'll get a petrol or a naturally aspirated diesel in your price range but you'll have to stretch a few more thousand to get a turbo diesel in reasonable condition.

Last edited:
a mate of mine just bought a 91mod hilux dual cab diesel, no turbo, with snorkel, sunraysia rims,
it has ARB bullbar side steps/sliders and rear bar canopy.
it has also been lifted and has rancho adjustable shocks.
he paid $4300
it could use a coat of paint as the roof is starting to loose its top coat.

after he bought it we hit some local tracks. it was actually quite impressive. with the solid axle front end and better ramp over then the d40, the old girl blew my d40 away on a couple of tracks with some big steps.

Search for a 1998 QD32 ST D22.

There are some good one's out there.

I know he is against Holden's.

But TF Rodeo's are a great ute.

I know you said no holdens alos, but i agree with dave. I had a 97 TD rodeo as my first ride. Loud as buggery, not fancy, but by god i did over 30,000km in a year and i had just as much faith in that motor as my new navara. The only thing on mine was the body was falling to pieces, as it had a very hard life.

Dad has a 99 model, also the 2.8TD. His has over 330,000 and has only needed a new water pump, at around 280k.

Mitch

a mate of mine just bought a 91mod hilux dual cab diesel, no turbo, .

I had a 2.8 diesel hilux before the nav, When i first got it i wasnt to concerned about the lack of power, But after a couple of years it was getting to me. Loaded up with gear it was good but as soon as it got a sniff of the camper trailer that was it go slow mode. In saying that it did do everything i asked of it, And a kid just getting his ticket doesnt need a power house for a first car

I had a 2.8 diesel hilux before the nav, When i first got it i wasnt to concerned about the lack of power, But after a couple of years it was getting to me. Loaded up with gear it was good but as soon as it got a sniff of the camper trailer that was it go slow mode. In saying that it did do everything i asked of it, And a kid just getting his ticket doesnt need a power house for a first car

yep they are a bit slow.
if my mates one cost him $4300 and his son has 10k to spend, he should be able to find one with a turbo, exhaust and all the other goodies.
then he would end up with a great 4x4. personally i haven't owned a hilux and i dont think i ever will, but the older solid axle models can be turned into great 4x4's

Latest posts

Back