Spanish or Thai????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craighaty7

Reaction score
How do I tell if my MY2010 D40 ST is a Spanish or Thai breed?
I've been searching these forums and found reference to pros and cons for each but can't see how to tell which type mine is.
Also, is there a quality difference between Spanish or Thai?
My brother is an ex-performance car mechanic and has warned a friend of mine off the Navara 2.5lt engine broadly because of timing set problems, but as Nav owner, I'd like to recommend one to him.

As stated in the other thread where you asked the question, VIN - starts with VSK it's Spanish, VIN starts with MNT it's a Thai build.

Built quality will vary for many difference reasons, some swear Wednesday cars are better than Friday cars some will say BMW's are better than Merc, at the end of the day quality is the luck of the draw as neither factory is significantly worse at anything.

Some people just don't like certain brands or makes, you wont change their mind so there is no point trying, if your friend is open minded tell him to read any forums related to his preferred choices and the two things he will find is happy owners with limited or no problems and pissed off owners with lots of problems.

Thanks for that Krafty, and I agree there are good and bad with all variety of makes and models.
As for changing people's minds, I know after all these years I'll never be able to educate my brother, but there have been plenty of comments on the forums about common problems with certain build models.
I'd like to take some surety to my friend and recommend the Nav 2.5 (like mine) with confidence and some fact that my bro' was thinking of an inferior build.

The problem with reporting issues like the clutch problems in Navs a few years ago is that there is heaps of websites out there with jealous Toyota drivers who prattle on about it without knowing what they are talking about and the bad stories have a habit of getting stretched further and further. No manufacturer is immune from problems and at some stage they will all go through a run of them.

There is nothing really that inferior about a Nav but there is plenty of people ready to bring up dual mass fly wheels, chalky brakes, the bonnet recall and who knows what else when it's asked of them but it's also worth asking many of them if they've even driven a Nav let alone owned and regularly driven one.

If there is any surety to be had point your friend to this forum and see how many happy Nav owners there are.

easiest way to tell is thai built trucks have the ariel in the front guard, spain built trucks have the short ariel on the roof...

Latest posts

Back