Speedo Out

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEM49

Reaction score
Iv got a new 2010 d22 with less then 10000km and jus drove from cairns to sydney and noticed that the speedo was reading different to my scan gauge and my sat nav, its down spoton 10%. Its got the wheels that came with the car, has anyone else had this and can i fix it (by me i mean nissan)?

This topic has come up so often that it should have it's own section in the forum. By law speedos are allowed to read 10% +4kph higher than their true speed, anything lower than this and Nissan are not required to fix it. Your ECU knows your exact speed and this is reported to the likes of SG but not the speedo. Tyre size does have an effect on speedo reading but with standard tyres and a less than 10% +4 error it's totally legal.

If you really want a fix there is a Jaycar (or the like) kit but Nissan wont offer it to you.

The short answer is "you will have to live with it".

First, Australian Design Rules (ADR) state that the vehicle speedo must NEVER read lower than the actual speed, but is allowed to read up to 10% higher than the actual speed.

Because of that, Nissan aren't actually required to make any changes because your speedo conforms to ADR. If it were not - like if it showed 12% out or something - they would be required to make a change.

I almost exclusively use my satellite navigation tool for measuring my vehicle's speed.

And guys (this is for everyone) - there's proof that the car's ECU knows precisely how fast it's going - the ScanGauge agreed with the satnav, it was only the needle that was out. That needle is just a coil being energised in a magnetic field and is going to be inaccurate.

Understandably, the ECU and Scangauge will become inaccurate if you fit different sized tyres, but your satnav will ALWAYS be correct.

Back