Spend money on Nav or change out for Patrol 4.2 ute

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan96

Reaction score
Hi All

OK, hoping someone can make some points to sway me either way.

I'm about to unload about 7-8k on a steel tray, hardtop canopy and roof rack touring set up.

OR! for the same money (changeover) I could pick up a 4.2td Patrol Ute.

This is how I see it

(a) Get patrol
Needs to be already reasonable well set up and less than 28K (with tray only) or less than 34k (with tray and canopy already on)
More tray space (got no kids yet)
Tougher, bigger, better etc
Solid axel (coil/coil or coil/leaf)
Better resale
For price will have higher kays and it will be older (I don’t care about manufactured date just condition and mileage)
Less fuel efficient
Some one else has lost their money by doing mods

(b) Do up Nav
Nicer interior
Newer and only 70,000kms
Known history
Only baby tray
Smaller, less tough, IFS (although IFS hasn’t stoped me yet for what I do)
Don’t have to go through car selling/buying saga
I loose MY money doing mods that I won’t get back in resale

Heart says Patrol – Head is probably 70% Nav/ 30% Patrol

HELP ME :hmmmm:

Even tho i dont have kids i still miss the dual cab when driving the patrol ute, just that extra bit of space/lockable area. but that might be negated once i put a canopy on the back. Fuel economy was deff better in the navara but the patrol feels alot more solid, i dont have any worries about it just going. If you get the right patrol, theres less electronics which can make a big difference out touring. I find the Patrol more comfortable offroad, Nav was better on road. Nav interior was deffinetly better but that might just be because ive got the pov pack interior in the trol.

Depends on you needs, I was thinking originally about buying a Patrol ute.

But being a Single cab only, I wanted more interior space.

If Nissan made a dual cab Patrol I probably would be driving one.

But i am happy with my Nav.

I sold my trol and got the nav big differance in utes. if you get a the St mdl trol you will get the same things as a nav like power windows cental looking carpet things like that

As others have said it depends on what you are going to use it for. I got the Nav coz I wanted a 4X4 ute and liked the look of the Nav. Now after doing about 90% of my off roading with GQ's and GU's running 35's I do wish that I had gone for a Patrol, saying that I can still do allot of the tracks that the patrols are doing and I only run 32's. I think if you want it as more of a touring truck you should stick with the Nav, but if you want to hit the harder tracks go the Patrol.

Thanks for helping guys, Not :big_smile:

Truthfully, I think it will come down to whether or not the right patrol comes up before the end of march or not.

From what I've read you can pick any year 4.2 and not worry. With cars post 02 having the rectified 5th gear. But I reckon most vehicles would have had it fixed by now

I've only driven the more modern intercooled 4.2td is the any big difference performance, internals, reliability wise between these and the older turbo versions

here's one thats perfect except for the kays and maybe history (owner says it hasn't been thrashed when out bush)
LINK

Last edited:
Ive just recently moved to an ST Patrol ute and dont regret the change one bit. Paid 28k for a 2005 with 168km on the clock (private sale) with 3in ex and dual batteries.

The 4.2 has been around for about 20 years so if something does go wrong while touring, parts can easily be found pretty much anywhere is aust. Some say its the most reliable engine in the world, everyday I drove the nav, I was expecting it to go bang so the ease of mind has been great.

The td42t is pretty much the same as the td42ti, the injector pumps are slightly different and the intercooled version has egr but internals and even performance is pretty much the same. An intercooler is almost an essential upgrade anyway, much easier to do if your ute already has one from factory, this is what swayed me to a td42ti.

Much bigger tray for touring/camping, if this is what you want to do, I rekon its an easy choice, patrol all the way. Much better offroad capability, fit 33's into standard suspension, 3 inch lift can be had for under 2k (coil/coil with everything or under 1k for just coils shocks)

That looks like a good buy considering the money has already been spent, I wouldnt worry about it having travelled 316k, for the money you save, you can afford to give it a freshen up once it has travelled 550000 km :)

Good luck with your choice

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

Last edited:
It'd say what you payed was a fair price

Don't know why they are so expensive on carsales.com. Looking at 30k for an 00 or 01 with 150-200kms on the clock.

Last edited:
I'm having the same thought at the moment, the money that i'm contemplating spending on the nav to make it more capable i'm toying with using it to buy a GQ 4.2td

The missus wants a new car so i'm gunna give her the nav win/win. My mate wants me to get an 80 series cruiser but they are going for alot more than i want to pay

Latest posts

Back