Spray guns

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crack

Reaction score
G'day fellas

I'm after a bit of info on spray guns for painting. I want to repaint my boat trailer so not a huge job. I currently have a cheap gun and pot that I got with my compressor. I don't think it's up to the job after playing around spraying some 44 drums. Would gravity fed gun be better or stick with the suction gun?

Any help would be awsome.
Jack

Jack,

A gravity fed gun will be better, and can be bought cheaply from Supercheap or the like. But the existing gun should be ok, just play with the air pressure from the compressor a bit. Around 40psi should work ok.

Cheers.

A Friend of mine owns a spray painting business and uses the gravity fed guns.
I asked him about the suction and he says they are for hobby use.

Thanks guys. I think some of the problem is the airflow. Going to get a regulator and watertrap and see if this helps also.

Those help as well. Should be able to get it right without to much effort mate. Don't forget to take some pictures of your handy work!

Yeh it's my first time using one so I think it's just going to be a matter of playing a bit to get it right and just practice. Wife has a heap of 44's for me to paint for horse jumps, so Ill practice in them before the trailer. Hoping next r&r I'll get the trailer striped at least, bit of a dragged out job between working away and family time.

Even with a good gun if you haven't got a compressor that supplies shitloads of air you'll still end up with orange peel.

The average home compressor cant keep up.

Gravity feed guns don't provide a better finish than suction feed, they are just easier to use and hence the choice of (most) professional auto refinishers. 2 main reasons, more comfortable and because you get better paint flow to the gun. Suction feed can easily be starved of paint when tilted to create a spluttering pattern and poor finish.

The feed method has little or no bearing on air consumption, it is all to do with gun and air cap design. Depending on the gun this can range between 4 & 22 cfm (cubic feet per minute). Your typical $200 direct drive compressor from Bunnings will give you about 6cfm at best. You will realistically need 12 - 15cfm.

Type of paint used also makes a big difference. Be wary of quick dry products or (as an amateur) you'll end up ugly dry spray (overspray that has dried on the freshly painted substrate).

PM me if you want further help. I've been fixing and selling spray painting (and sandblasting) gear for the last 15 years.

Back