Starter Motor just died.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Karlos

Reaction score
Hey guys my Nav's Starter Motor just gave up yesterday. I was just down at the shops when i started the car and it sounded like it had a flat battery. So i thought i returned home and checked the battery.
I got home checked the batt levels. 14v when the engine was on and 12.48v when i turned the engine off. Went to start the car again and it didnt even turn over, the fuel pump primed though which was sort of a good sign. Thinking that the battery had been contaminated by my latest nose dive into a water crossing i hooked up a spare but the same thing happened.
It did have mud on it for about a week before i cleaned it off. And like i said i didn't have an issue with it, It just died.

Also i've noticed that when i go to turn the engine on the starter motor still draws voltage from the battery. (Down to about 6v) So could the starter motor just be jammed in a disengaged state and will require me to take a hammer to it?

Or if it requires replacement my Nav is a D22 2.5lt Turbo (2008). and ill fit a new one myself.

Are you saying that when you turn your ignition from "OFF" to "ON" so that all the dash lights come on and you have NOT tried to start the engine, the battery voltage drops to 6V?

Any 12V lead acid battery showing that low a voltage is in its death throes - but let's assume that your battery is still good.

Battery voltage drops when a load is placed on the battery. Your ECU and other items should draw about 10-15A at the most. The only way this draw will cause the battery voltage to drop that dramatically is if the battery is stuffed - so the natural conclusion (if the battery is good) is that there's a much, much larger draw on the battery.

This larger draw could be the result of a starter solenoid failure. The solenoid is just an electromagnet that draws down a conductive bar across two terminals. It would have to have damage or debris in it to draw that much current, or be trying to turn the starter over - but you'd notice that.

Personally I'd go and get a known very good starter battery and try that, take it from another vehicle if you have to - 600CCA or better, the Navara can draw 500-550S when starting the engine.

The last thing you might want to take a look at is the ground/earth strap connecting the battery negative to the engine. It could be loose, which could also cause trouble.

I should of cleared up the post a bit. When the ignition is set to ACC/ON voltage remains at 12.48v. Upon trying to Start the car the voltage will drop to 6v (Even if i have my lights and spoties on) . I've already tested my car with a spare battery but it wont even turn over.
So to me the solenoid is closing otherwise there would not be any draw from the battery.

And whats worse last week i got a message from Nissan that the Car warranty finished. :D

Definitely sounds like you've discovered the problem then. Nissan probably charge a fortune for one. Send a pm to Nizzbits and ask what he can get one for. If you want to try a second hand one, get in touch with Niss4x4. If they don't have one they'll hunt one for you.

Unfortunately both are over this side of the planet, so they'd need to be freighted over.

Back