strange noise, transfer chain?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco12

Reaction score
Gday, have a strange noise, possibly transfer but really unknown! Sounds like transfer chain noise on youtube clips but not as regular if that makes sense? Kind of metal on metal noise.
Happens under load and suspension articulation, will do it in 4x4, 4x2 with the hubs locked or just 4x2 hubs unlocked.
if it happens in 4x2 with hubs unlocked am I right thinking that I can rule out hubs, cv's, front diff and drive shaft?
What about transfer chain, will it make noise if streched when in 2x4?
Ideas?

The transfer chain should NOT move if the front hubs are unlocked and the transfer lever is in the 2HI position. I could go look up the schematic for the D22, but I assume it'll work very similarly to the D40 - a shift fork slides a pawl forward that engages the gear carrying the very large chain that then links the front and rear drive shafts.

If you hear it in any mode as described, I'd suggest closely checking the rear output of the transfer case, the uni joints, centre bearings and rear axle (including the brakes).

It's worth putting the tail onto jack stands and turning the shaft over while you're underneath to see if you can spot any looseness or noise that way.

Thanks Old Tony, was hoping that might be how the transfer works. I do have some sus front wheel bearings but doubt they could make the noise. Ill start with your suggestions, looks like ill be spending some time under the navara.

charlie, the caps have been gone for ages and it seems to be a new noise i have not heard before so i would 99% rule it out.
its a hard one, my mate thought it was coming from the rear and i thought front, it is only intermittent, and its not something i can feel through the driveline.
ill start the search this arvo after work.

I see you have a Beaudesert exhaust so do I after 50k I started getting the same noise in the same circumstances.Turns out it was the flange on the dump pipe hitting the firewall particularly under load crawl under with a torch if that's the issue you will see scratch marks on the paint where it rubs.
Hope this helps.
John

It's not just cheeky suspension is it? Of you've been in a few mud holes or water crossings, it could just be suspension. Could explain why it's hard to pinpoint exact location. May be worth greasing up the leaves if you have it up on jacks.

I had this same noise yesterday. What made me think it isn't the steering stops is it happened when the wheels were only just off centre. Sounded like it came from the drivers front and I could feel it through the car. This is my first 4wd and I was worried its an expensive mechanical issue in the driveline. I plan on giving it a good clean down today and to go from there. I'll post up what I find later.

Chris

Tony, it only happened when the suspension was articulating, both times i heard it was when going over bumps like large roots or ruts. This is the reason I believe it to be suspension related as opposed to driveline. It does sound similar to the steering stop noise.

Do the members experiencing this have a lifted ride? Mine has been lifted 2" all round.

We had an odd noise from ours whenever the front suspension was moving, turned out to be the lower shock absorber bush which on the standard shocks was non-replaceable (unless you replaced the whole shock) - which I did. The new OME Nitrocharger Sports have replaceable ones, if it ever happens again. How's yours?

Latest posts

Back