Strange noise when the car is moving

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnotherJason

Reaction score
Hey all,

I drive a 08, d40, rx (spain)

So my problem is I hear this strange "clunking" noise (no vibrations from it) when my car is rolling.
It doesn't happen when i rev the engine.
and it sounds like its coming from mid/front of the car

its most noticeable when rolling down my drive way and sound of the clunking will increase the faster i roll.

What could this be?

As above. Climb under the car and give the drive shaft a shake - it shouldn't wobble about too much at all. Check the front one as well - because the D40's front axle is permanently engaged, the front drive shaft turns over all the time as well.

It could also be CV joints or (maybe) the transfer chain is bouncing around.

Best bet is to put it up on jack stands and start turning the wheels over, if the drive shafts seem to be ok.

Ok, the front drive shaft moves around heaps.
Do I just need a new U-joint to fix this and where can i buy it from?

Last edited:
It might only be a uni joint and if so you're lucky, but I wouldn't go too far with a busted uni in case the shaft falls out.

Forum diagnoses are great and sometimes spot on the money but getting an experienced set of eyes onto it will give you the best answer. Now that you have seen something that's not supposed to be going the way it should, take it to a mechanic and let them confirm that it is just a uni joint, and not a bearing in the diff.

Latest posts

Back