STX 550 17inch rims what tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey mate i run 265 70 17 mickey thompsons ATZ's on mine. they work well on the 550. only down fall is they have a little bit of road noise but only noticable if the stereo is off.

I took the plunge yesterday and bought the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib in the 265/70 R17 size.

I am really impressed. With the OME lift kit in, the wheel arch seemed a bit bare.

These tyres have filled it out nicely and it has made the truck look even more awesome :)

Damo

The ute is stock with only a set of air bag rear helpersto lift a saggy end when towing...

be carefull with airbags and leaf springs, they don't mix! chassis's aren't strengthened where they meet the airbag. they bend there very easy with big loads

Does anyone know if 265/75R17 will fit with a 2inchl ift and an ARB bullbar?

I have Cooper AT3's on my standard wheels - 275/70-17

SAX lift - prob 2-3 inches. Fit no problem. Noise no different over standard. Awesome on the sand when aired down to 18psi.

I have Cooper AT3's on my standard wheels - 275/70-17

SAX lift - prob 2-3 inches. Fit no problem. Noise no different over standard. Awesome on the sand when aired down to 18psi.

Hi Tryharder,

how much did the sax lift set you back? and did you just get the leafs or the full kit. Some phoos would be great if you have any kicking round?

Full kit mate, including shocks - just under $2,100 I think from memory? I installed it all myself - I have access to a hoist. I didn't bother with photos mate, sorry. The leafs work as advertised for sure and easily adjustable for loads. The initial lift was probably over three inches but has settled down now after a couple of laden trips to Fraser Island.

If I were to do it all again, I would go the Calmini 5" lift for $3,500. One thing I HATE about how we lift the fronts of these things (Fractionally longer but stiffer springs - shocks can't get much longer to accommodate as they won't fit back in the mounts), is the 'topping out' that you experience over slow work - like on Fraser Island, tree roots, little washouts on the beach etc. When there is a sudden drop, the topping out is terrible and feels like the front end will rip out!

If you run the 5" lift, from what I understand, you can use much lighter duty springs and shocks because the lift comes from replacement subframes moving the whole suspension mount points down. This pretty well eliminates topping out and you still get the lift.

I wish I knew 3 months ago what I do now.

16" rims won't clear the brakes.

What!! Is this true for the 2012 ST which comes with 17inch rims? I am saving up to replace them with 16" sunraysias and more agressive tyres. If you can't put 16" rims on I'll be gutted.

What!! Is this true for the 2012 ST which comes with 17inch rims? I am saving up to replace them with 16" sunraysias and more agressive tyres. If you can't put 16" rims on I'll be gutted.

No mate, the 2.5 is not the same as the v6 because the v6 has to run bigger brakes the the 4cyl .
I run 16" on my new 2012 ST with no probs. see my garage if you like.

Full kit mate, including shocks - just under $2,100 I think from memory? I installed it all myself - I have access to a hoist. I didn't bother with photos mate, sorry. The leafs work as advertised for sure and easily adjustable for loads. The initial lift was probably over three inches but has settled down now after a couple of laden trips to Fraser Island.

If I were to do it all again, I would go the Calmini 5" lift for $3,500. One thing I HATE about how we lift the fronts of these things (Fractionally longer but stiffer springs - shocks can't get much longer to accommodate as they won't fit back in the mounts), is the 'topping out' that you experience over slow work - like on Fraser Island, tree roots, little washouts on the beach etc. When there is a sudden drop, the topping out is terrible and feels like the front end will rip out!

If you run the 5" lift, from what I understand, you can use much lighter duty springs and shocks because the lift comes from replacement subframes moving the whole suspension mount points down. This pretty well eliminates topping out and you still get the lift.

Yeah i was weighing up the Calmini 5", the biggest benefit being able to throw some big tyres under there. am running a 2" tough dog kit at the moment but would just like to go a lil higher. have been looking at getting the Calmini UCA's with some strut spacers and extended shackles.

No mate, the 2.5 is not the same as the v6 because the v6 has to run bigger brakes the the 4cyl .
I run 16" on my new 2012 ST with no probs. see my garage if you like.

Phew, I was going to have to kick the cat to make myself feel better if that was the case.

Fitted new tyres on my STX v6 on the weekend when I was in Sydney. The 265's look good and gave it an instant lift. The stock tyres are really lightweight and bagged out at normal pressures. The new boots gave it about 25mm more under the diffs.

Was a toss up between the BFG AT or the KM2 but I don't really need the noise of the MT pattern so ended going with the ATs. Was only $20 difference per tyre so will have to wait and see if I made the right choice.

Gents,

I think on the 550 - speed rating is possibly a BIG issue. I over took a few cars the other day, there was nothing ahead so, for a bit of extra fun, I left hammer down , as one does occasionally, and hit 160-170 km/h in no time.

At that speed I would have been over the speed rating of MT MTZs and right on it for ATZ4Ribs and BF AT KOs. BS 697 & Cooper A/T3 are "S" (180 km/h) - it's not much more, but it's the highest of any ATs I can find. Anyway 160-170 is enough exurberance I think, so an "S" should cover it.

BTW. The standard tyre is H rated (210km/h) and it's a T(190 km/h) on the 2.5 ...

I'm in SA - so more sand & desert - not so much mud - I guess I've got a winch for that. Muddies & ATZ4bars do look great but I'm not willing to trade in stopping distance for aesthetics and rarely needed mudability.

I think I'm going to go with the Cooper A/T3 - 265/70R17 - which will give me a ~20 mm lift on top of the OME lift. I like the BS D697 (had 694s on the last ute & they were great), but the only large OD they do is 285 and that wont go on the standard rims ...

I just wish there was somthing a bit grippier - I'm not that fussed about mssive tyre life. I looked at the Pirelli Scorpion - but they are too road oriented and I'm not sure how bullet proof they are ...

Just thinking about it - it wasn't "easy" to hit 160+ in the 2.5 - but it is very easy in the 550....

But what do you do about crappy insurance policys?? what does anyone do with insurances having this big lifts?

Navara 550 Tyres Sizes

Optional tyres for a Nissan Frontier include a factory supplied 265/75/16 which equates to a 31.65" tyre. This is equal to a 265/70/17 tyre at 31.61". So there should be no modification required to fit a 265/70/17 onto a Navara 550. Check out Nissan USA Frontier specs on the website

Latest posts

Back