STX Sunglasses compartment latch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daymo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just picked up a near new condition 2008 STX 4X4 and before i get started on adding new features i want to fix the only issue that was picked up during its mechanical inspection before i purchased it.

As pedantic as it sounds, i need to replace the small latch that holds the sunglasses compartment located in front roof light console thing closed. Currently duct tape is providing a solution but i would prefer to fix it.

Its what i would deem the "female" part of the latch that consists of two "C" shaped plastic prongs inside the console that should grip around the "male" part of the latch located on the opening compartment.

If anyone has any ideas on what i could replace it with, that would be great as Nissan want NZ$80 for it. Either that or i need to wait until a wreckers has one i can pull it out of.

Thanks in advance
Daymo

The plastic "C" parts that grip on have broken and are no longer under tension to close. They just flop around all over the place. They havent snapped off but either just have small breaks or maybe the plastic just gave out.

Wont close at all now, therefore is duct tapped close.

Just had a look at mine (since the compartment itself is sitting in a box in the garage) and the latch is a replaceable part. Not sure if Nissan would list it under their parts but I'd ask then, fall over at the price then reconsider. After much consideration I'd then go to a wreckers and hunt out any number of cars because they will be the same thing for sunglasses compartments, drink holders and the like in many different cars.

Yeah as i mentioned i already contacted them and they refer to it as a "latch". No part number and wanted NZ$80 for a replacement part.

Was just wondering if anyone would know a generic name for this type of latch system so i could maybe source one online.

Thanks for the help KraftyPg

Oh sorry didn't read that but about the price.

As far as I can see it's called a latch and everything from Dunnydoors to Jag's have them but unless wreckers over in NZ are different to over here I'd reckon it would be easier to hunt them out and pay $3 for on than hunt out online.

Just pay the $80 and be done with it

For a latch that is 3cm long consists of one piece of plastic and a spring and can be found in just about every car on the road? Even a pom wouldn't consider that logical :ha:

I was considering sticking my light/sunglasses console thing on ebay for $20 and figured that the seller was getting ripped off, given Nissan prices for the latch only I'm thinking I might put it on for $1000.

If it took me an hour to find the bloody thing at the wreckers then it would be costing me more than that anyway! See, we are a logical bunch!

Yeah but if you were an Aussie you wouldn't consider time spent at the wreckers as wasted because you'd have figured out how to do it on the clock.

Latest posts

Back