Submerging Auxiliary Battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt c

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Just wondering what you think my second battery is mounted on the chassis rail under the tray in a battery box at the moment, just wondering if this could cause damage on a water crossing?

Most aux batteries these days are the "sealed" variety (Gel, AGM, VRLA will all indicate a mostly sealed unit). These batteries can usually be submerged in water up to about a metre deep for short periods before they're in trouble - and even then, some batteries can stay there for longer or go deeper.

I dare say though that 1m is more than enough and I doubt you're considering a day-long stay.

It's prudent that if you're contemplating lots of deep crossings (particularly in salt water) that you consider a sealant for the terminals - there's a blue spray that I've been told the name of a dozen times and still don't remember it that you should use on the terminals once everything's tightened up.

It's prudent that if you're contemplating lots of deep crossings (particularly in salt water) that you consider a sealant for the terminals - there's a blue spray that I've been told the name of a dozen times and still don't remember it that you should use on the terminals once everything's tightened up.[/QUOTE]

Yes Guys, It was on the tip of Tony's tongue

The brand name that I use is
WURTH / and it is called battery terminal protector. (sprays out the blue)
And its magic for stopping corrosion.

Thanks fellas I have a regular deep cycle at the moment but will be getting a new one soon the box is made out of stainless and with a small amount of silicone it should be fairly water tight anyway but just if it did fill up I no it should be ok, always do fresh water crossings as well anyway

Either Gel or AGM will be sealed enough for the task. Both batteries are designed to operate in any orientation (upside down etc). AGM batteries are designed to handle internal pressure to a degree, to allow recombination of the hydrogen gas that is produced during charging. Gel batteries aren't designed for internal pressure, there's no need - if a gel battery is charged fast enough to fizz the electrolyte it's bye-bye battery time.

The guy at the battery place said that I would have to be sitting in water for a long time for a deep cycle to be affected but I might get the AGM just to be safe

He's right. Even with a flooded cell battery which has a visible hole in the top, the chance of water getting in when submerged < 500mm is extremely small. Rule 1 of fluid dynamics: fluids (which includes gases) will find the path of least resistance to flow to. If there's no reason for it to flow, it won't.

Thanks old tony makes sense might just go with the deep cycle the box it goes in mostly water tight anyway plus there a fair bit lighter then the AGM

Latest posts

Back