Supercheap Ridge Ryder 9500lb Winch??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can i just say the washing the rope thing keeps popping up and i think its BS, i have had my winch on two Navs now and its had a flogging getting Hilux's and

landcruisers out of the crap and i have NEVER unspooled it and washed it, all i ever do is wash the car and hose off the rope while its still SPOOLED up.

After the last person was on the forum saying cable can be "SET AND FORGET" and rope needs to washed or the grit gets into the fibres blah blah blah i had a good look

at my rope and as you guys prob know you can grab the rope and push it together so you can look at the weave, Well after doing that all of the length of the rope all

i could see in the centre of the rope was perfectly clean looking fibres, there was NO dirt all through it NONE.

I think when the rope is under tension the fibre is pulled so frickin tight that NOTHING can get in

I will take some pics of my three year old rope that has done a heap of muddy work and show you guys, i will grab some pics tomorrow.

really rope is so cheap now i carry a spare in my recovery bag and if it does snap you can tie a knot in it to get you out of the crap then put the new one on.

just M.O

that sounds pretty good.
i washed mine after i got it pretty dirty last winter as a precaution.

how does the rope attach to drum??

1 little screw.

should be alright - A mate of mine have one of this in his patrol works like a charm mate
I got a Hercules Dynema 12Klbs a hundredt more than Rydge Rider but I got a free high lift jack :-D cheering

should be alright - A mate of mine have one of this in his patrol works like a charm mate
I got a Hercules Dynema 12Klbs a hundredt more than Rydge Rider but I got a free high lift jack :-D cheering

Took advantage of their current offer, where you also get the bonus High Lift Jack and LED Work Light, sadly work light sold out, and as I am not that keen on high lift jack's, I settled for a snatch block & tree strap thinking those two pieces of recovery gear would get more use then the high lift jack and would complete my recovery kit as well.

Either way, I am happy with what I got, and hopeful to be installing it and a new bullbar this weekend

Last edited:
You do need to wash your winch rope IF you have done some pretty hectic recoveries. Mainly if your rope is allowed to drag through the mud when pulling it out off the spool. When it's slack on the ground, potentially getting walked on, is when the mud and small dirt gets in. Then when it tightens during recovery those little grains of dirt and small stones start to cut through your rope. It's not gonna happen all of a sudden, but over time of many recoveries damage will occur.

If your in a D40 and just getting pulled over a gutter in the street then it's probably not going to get dirty. Hahaha

Well, I ended up going with a Tigerz11 Hercules 12000LB Winch with Dyneema Rope

You will be recovering d 40,s and slyluxes b4 u know it
It seems those without winches are always the ones who need help
It's like they think" its ok my mates got a winch,when I get stuck he will winch me out"
I've only used winch once to recover myself,the rest has been other trucks

You do need to wash your winch rope IF you have done some pretty hectic recoveries. Mainly if your rope is allowed to drag through the mud when pulling it out off the spool. When it's slack on the ground, potentially getting walked on, is when the mud and small dirt gets in. Then when it tightens during recovery those little grains of dirt and small stones start to cut through your rope. It's not gonna happen all of a sudden, but over time of many recoveries damage will occur.

If your in a D40 and just getting pulled over a gutter in the street then it's probably not going to get dirty. Hahaha

I have read all the post in this thread and other threads about maintaining Dyneema Rope, and well as a user of Kernmantle Life/Rescue ropes for over 20 years now, and more recent as a trainer instructing others in its use and maintenance, I think I will just follow my experience and apply those same rope care principles to using Dyneema Rope.

For me, I do a lot of off-road driving by myself, and as I have never had a winch on any of my own 4wd's (heaps of military vehicles thou), I have always stayed clear from attempting tracks that looked like it may get me stuck, so now with a winch there will be some tracks that I will now try, but again . . . if it don't look right, I won't be driving it even with a winch, after all it's no fun drive home with a broken car and there usually not that cheap to fix

Last edited:

I disagree and will with anyone who says its a "MUST DO" for the simple reason that there is so many fibres that make up the rope cutting one or two at a time here and there over the length of the rope doesnt effect it as all the other fibres pull tight around it and work off each other. It would be different if you cut a heap at once so you cut through 25% of the fibre in one location.
Its the same with ski ropes (i know there not pulling 3t but they pull what there designed to) you can splice a ski rope together and if it is done correctly you dnt need a knot or swages you can simply weave it through it self, and when its got weight on it, it pulls ITSELF tight and doesnt allow the other fibres to slip through it.
As ive said before i have had the same rope on my winch now for TWO navs and 3years and have done countless recoveries in all sorts of terrain and ground types and it is still going fine, no breakages at all yet, even after using it the weekend to recover my mates old 60 series up a muddy and rocky gully where he was so jammed against a sand stone step he snapped a cv and my DIRTY rope held strong.

Can i ask if you have had a rope snap then looked at it and said "wow look at all the dirt in here thats what must of coursed it to snap and it clearly wasnt the fact of the weight i was winching or that i have dragged it over those rocks"

If a rope has snapped who has been able to determine that is was through LACK of WASHING that coursed the FAILURE??
Would you be able to tell?? if the rope broke simply from being overloaded or has ben dragged over sharp rocks coursing allot of EXTERNAL fibres to break which CANNOT be strengthened by the other fibres around them like they can when they are the internal fibres.

The bottom line is Yes the rope will eventually wear out, sooner or later it will fail weather from over loading or miss use or from just being used so many times.
So spend the $170 and carry a spare, they dont weigh much or take up much room and it is by far the cheapest insurance.
Also as ive said before if it does snap and you are not in a position to replace it, JUST TIE A KNOT IN IT, and replace it when you are in the position to.

IMO its washing the ropes out like a mad person after every use is not that big of an issue, yeah give it a bit of a hose or something if you must but washing it like you do with your undies is just not going to make that much of a difference.

OK so here is my rope that has been dragged over rocks and through mud, dirty muddy water, sand you name it.
As you can see the out side fibres are copping it, mostly due to those long line pulls where you can not cover every inch of ground or do not have the luxury of time as my mates hilux's are taking in water for eg

Now here you can see ive opened up the rope to get a look at the inside fibres and there is hardly any issues and it looks a dam site cleaner, i cant see all the grit that should be there as i have never washed it, give it a hose while on the spool yes, BUT never washed it.
i think the outside is allot worse from ground damage then the INSIDE, BUT you can see how many tiny fibres there are they are like hairs, the thing that gives the rope its strength is not only the amount of fibres but the way its is SPLICED or PLATTED (or however its spelt)

Typical D40 owner opinion. Haha jokes Nathan.
Yes, I've seen a few ropes break over the years. I was a driving instructor in the Army for 12 years, which included a ridiculous amount of 4wd training. So I've done my fair share of recoveries. Some were caused by heat damage, some caused by lack of maintenance.

I agree with your theory about the strands pulling together to strengthen the weaker parts. All I'm getting at is that if your rope is filled with crap then you've gotta clean it.

If you don't, the fibres will be damaged and your rope will break. Maybe not in the next recovery, maybe not in the next year, but damage is being done each time and it is imposing a threat on the life span if the rope.

Maintaining your rope could save a life. Big call there, but, what if your mate was halfway up a big fark off hill and damaged his breaks or something on that big rock he was struggling to get over. You then proceed to winch him up that big hill, as reversing down without breaks (for example) is out of the question. Near the top, your winch rope snaps, he then starts slipping backwards, gets sideways then rolls down the hill and is killed.

That could have been prevented if you had have taken the 10minutes after your last 4wd trip to wash your rope in a bucket of water. How would you feel?

Just saying. It could happen. And you can help prevent it by maintaining your rope.

My example might be dramatised, but...I'm sure you get picture.

Wouldn't u agree?

Typical D40 owner opinion. Haha jokes Nathan.
Yes, I've seen a few ropes break over the years. I was a driving instructor in the Army for 12 years, which included a ridiculous amount of 4wd training. So I've done my fair share of recoveries. Some were caused by heat damage, some caused by lack of maintenance.

I agree with your theory about the strands pulling together to strengthen the weaker parts. All I'm getting at is that if your rope is filled with crap then you've gotta clean it.

If you don't, the fibres will be damaged and your rope will break. Maybe not in the next recovery, maybe not in the next year, but damage is being done each time and it is imposing a threat on the life span if the rope.

Maintaining your rope could save a life. Big call there, but, what if your mate was halfway up a big fark off hill and damaged his breaks or something on that big rock he was struggling to get over. You then proceed to winch him up that big hill, as reversing down without breaks (for example) is out of the question. Near the top, your winch rope snaps, he then starts slipping backwards, gets sideways then rolls down the hill and is killed.

That could have been prevented if you had have taken the 10minutes after your last 4wd trip to wash your rope in a bucket of water. How would you feel?

Just saying. It could happen. And you can help prevent it by maintaining your rope.

My example might be dramatised, but...I'm sure you get picture.

Wouldn't u agree?

Simply NO I DON'T.
If my rope breaks it will have nothing to do with me not washing it in a bucket of water.
The rope will most likely break due to damage from all sorts of reasons but washing it NO.
YES of course it would be a tradgety if my mate was killed and I would be so pissed off I didn't change my rope earlier. But if the danger was so great I would most definintly take extra precautions as I'm sure you would agree with all your
Training.
If I were in such a precarious situation I would more then Likely have a strap to a tree or winch extension back to my car and winch in short bursts shorten the safety strap each time and chocking the damaged vehicle
You would be a dumb arse if you did as you discribed and got out a old scrubbed rope and put people's life's on the line with it
Poor example mate.
Now all of these broken ropes you have seen how many we're caused by NOT WASHING THEM??
I'm not asking if you have seen a rope break I'm asking how many if any were cussed purely from not washing it??

I've never investigated the ropes. I can't lie and say they are purely from not washing. I never mentioned scrubbing the rope. Simply washing them in a tub of water.

But anyway, difference of opinion.

I've never investigated the ropes. I can't lie and say they are purely from not washing. I never mentioned scrubbing the rope. Simply washing them in a tub of water.

But anyway, difference of opinion.

your right about the difference in opinion and thats cool buy me, people can do as they wish.

My point is that i dont agree with people preaching about the so called FACT the YOU MUST wash it or IT WILL break, i simply dont think that is what causes ropes to break.

when did i ever mention "scrubbing the rope" ???

If you read my post you will see that i said,,,

"You would be a dumb arse if you did as you discribed and got out a old scrubbed rope and put people's life's on the line with it"

meaning a rope that had been dragged over rocks and damaged, you know like "it had been scrubbed over rocks and damaged" not talking about cleaning methods.

Last edited:
You seem very fixed in your idea that cleaning a winch rope won't do jack.

A quick google of rope manufacturers and they all say that sand and grit will cause abrasion inside the rope and weaken the rope severely. Obviously from that you would take away that a weakened rope is more susceptible to break.

I suppose they have just put that on their web sites for fun and its not really true. Silly manufacturers making stuff about their products.

Would it not just be away of opening the door to people saying "my rope snapped" there answer could be well clearly you must of compramised it by not maintaing it, we clearly state that you should wash it after every use, did you do that??"
I would say its almost like an insurer saying that they will insure your 4x4 as long as it is only used for "intended use", and climbing that hill was not within the relms of "intended use" so no cover. they always have an out but will take your money.
Or when nissan say they wont cover broken diffs or cv or diff housings because you were off road.
They all need to create an out so they can worm out of covering big claims, like your rope snapping and your mate with the busted brakes rolling back down a hill and killing him like you explained earlier. The rope manufacture can then say well you didnt care for the rope so we are not to blame.

I doubt it. But anyway. Il clean my rope.

Go for it, knock your self out. As i said i have no problem with people cleaning the rope, its entirely up to the individual.

Like ive said before im only debating the point that, YOU HAVE TO WASH IT.

My experience says different and if you look at the pics i put up you can see the inside of my rope that has NOT been washed looks very clean, and the outside is where the damage is and thats NOT form dirt getting into the centre of the rope.

When you can show me a rope that has broken from nothing else other then from NOT washing it then i might start to do it myself, but i doubt you will be able to because all the ropes i have seen all look like mine with fraying fibres on the OUTSIDE from other issues like being dragged across the ground.

Dont take it the wrong way im not saying you dont know what your talking about or anything else derogatory, from my own experience i just dont think it a big deal not to wash the rope, thats all.

Nathan you've washed that rope, I saw the photo,s, the flying fox photo,s :rofl2:

Well so i have, that must be the reason its lasted so long.
You have a good memory Dave i forgot those pics were on here.

His Mrs drives a slylux so the rope gets a workout

True Sparra, and lately Its been Claytons Toyata's both his 80 and 60 series cruisers have shat them selfs in the last month. Three axles/CV's in as many weeks in two different Yota's

Latest posts

Back