Surging uphill

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simsy

Reaction score
Hi guys today I came back from a couple nights on the Murray and have come across a new problem. when going uphill either a long hill or a very steep 1 my Nav starts to surge. It almost feels like it is about to run out of fuel of course this is defiantly not the case. I am at a bit of a loss so has anybody else had this issue and how was it rectified ?

Suction control valve is where i would be looking. Do a search for it and you will find many threads describing the symptoms

ITs an easy fix

I'd look at the SCV as well, but when you're going up a hill, the filter is much, much higher than the fuel tank so the pump has to draw much harder to get the fuel up to the filter. If you've installed a second filter, that will be the cause. If your primary filter hasn't been changed in a while, or it's recently saved you from a load of gunk from a servo tank, that will be the culprit.

In order, I'd look at these:

1) If running a secondary filter, fit a lift pump near the tank with a high flow rate
2) If the fuel filter hasn't been changed recently, do it
3) Examine the hoses for possible air leaks (hard to spot, a clear section of hose on the filter outlet is the best method)
4) Remove and clean the SCV in petrol, rinse thoroughly in diesel before reinstalling

I tell you I have had it with this lump of S%#T Navara I have had Nissans for the last 20 years and this is the last 0ne. So I think I have worked out what the problem is dirty fuel filter so change it sounds easy but no its a d40 pics of S%#T so of course there are more problems. The stupid thing won't pump the fuel up I have pumped it for over 40 mins and have removed the filter twice just to make sure its seated properly but no nothing, If it wasn't stuck in my carport I would of put a match to the heap I am that stressed with it.

That feels a little better now I have had a rant so anybody have any ideas ?

Primer pump shot. Take fuel cap off and try that. If not pressure the tank with a bit of compressed air an waiting for it to fill filter up. Then hand pump should work. If all else fails get an electronic feed pump lol

Open the pipe on the outlet of the filter and pump the primer until the fuel squirtes out. If it wont then it is either sucking air or there is an obstruction in the line. Possibly the pickup tube has collapsed inside the tank. Rare but it can happen. You may need to vacuum prime it if the fuel has drained all the way back to the tank. The one way valve in the primer could be shagged so it cant suck the fuel up when priming. Common problem. Use a genuine nissan filter. Other filters on the d40 cause problems. Bleed the air from the fuel pump and perhaps even crack and injector pipe to purge air locks.

Ps when changing the filter always firmly clamp the fuel line just before the filter housing to prevent the fuel draining back. It can be a real sod to get back op to the filter again as there is no lift pump on d40

I solved the problem I had my wife drive me back to work to get the truck so I have wheels. Pushed the junk out the back yard it can rot out there it will make a good spider home.

Fair to say I've had it with this thing.

Not exactly sure about the D40 navs but i know with some other vehicles they prime a lot better with the ignition on as it opens up the fuel cutoff solenoid. someone else might be able to confirm if this is the case with the d40?

No solenoid valve in the D40 that I know of, the primer should work regardless.

It's a shame, Simsy. It may not be a serious issue and it's driving you batty like this - you'll look back and laugh one day, but sadly for now it's soured the appeal of the car, and that's not good.

Not good by the sounds of it..

Like Tony said I wouldn't give up on it yet it's an investment.

You just need to investigate more.

It's no good having a NAV sitting out the back yard collecting spiderwebs.

I hope you solve your dilemma.

You are not kidding I traded a fully loaded d22 for this thing about 14 mths ago so far it has blown all my globes for no apparent reason, then the good old timing chain crapped out. Next it snapped the front shocks I still have to replace the worn front bushes and now I can't even replace a fuel filter without major dramas. Then of course there is the pathetic ground clearance I had to have the front diff dropped out to remove the sump to get the massive dent out at least the trams dent was easy. Oh I forgot about the cvs being replaced under warranty early on.

I simply have lost all faith in the car I was planning on doing a lot of camping this year because for the last couple years we have been traveling OS the wife's choice not mine that's why I updated as it turned out it was the worst thing I have ever done and has ruined all my plans for the year.

Sorry but I'm just a bit annoyed at the moment.

It may be time to step back and take a breath on this one.

If the fuel filter was clogged with crap, then there is every possibility that the fuel lines and tank / pickup could also be fairly clogged.

If it were mine, I would be dropping the tank and emptying and cleaning it, then I would apply mild pressure from a compressor to the fuel feed line in the engine bay until all the crap is blown out of the line at the tank end.

Then re-fit, fill with clean diesel and start priming it.

We have heard of cases here and there of the primer diaphragm having tears meaning it wont prime, but if you are sure that the fuel filter has filled with crap, then I would suspect crap in the fuel line / tank also.

Did you put some diesel on the seal on the fuel filter ? And be sure to not over tighten it.

Yep I did prep the seal and made sure it wasn't to tight, it could be crap in the lines or a damaged diagram but I am just to Pi#%ed at the moment to do anything else to it

I know this is getting off topic but people I know are urging me to get rid of my 2003 D22 and upgrade to a new model.
After reading all the stuff about the D40's, it ain't gunna happen.
sorry if this sounds like a put down but that's the way I'm seeing it.

Mate I agree I should never of sold d22 bit late now though. Personally I think Nissan should be embarrassed as the builders of the D40 it's the Edsel of the 4x4 world.

Last edited:
Had another go at the car this morning removed the filter for the 3rd time reseated the water censor on the bottom with a new o-ring dipped in fresh diesel then filled filter with the same also dipped the top gasket in diesel and refitted. Pumped the primmer for about 15mins still no pressure build up my guess is the primer pump is stuffed. Now my battery is about flat just to make thing's easier. Unfortunately I still need to get this C#%p Heap going so I can get rid of it.

Well I finally got the heap going all I had to do in the end was use a compressor to pressurise the fuel tank to get the fuel up to the filter then the primer pump took care of the rest. As it turned out the primer pump is just not capable of pumping fuel from the tank by itself bit of a stupid idea if you ask me. On a good note the SCV seems to be fine the original problem seems to be a partially blocked fuel filter.

Thinking of a couple remedies for the problem

1 modify a bike pump in case I run out where I can't use a compressor.

2 fit a bulb pump like in a boat in the engine bay as a permanent solution.

Any outher ideas any body ?

Back