suspension noises on full lock

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

Im a new member and this is my first time post. Name Mister2 is because I own an MR2 as well.

...Anyway, I just bought a ST-R D22 3lt TD, and I have the above problem. So, I greased up the stops, seems to have fixed it a little but still getting the bang.

Im pretty new to these trucks so bear with me if I'm completely off the mark, but in my pic you can see the red arrow and is that what its hitting together at full lock?

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 131
You can buy caps for the steering stops from Nissan - and believe it or not they are relatively cheap - $2.75 each when I got some a while back.

Hey,

Im a new member and this is my first time post. Name Mister2 is because I own an MR2 as well.

...Anyway, I just bought a ST-R D22 3lt TD, and I have the above problem. So, I greased up the stops, seems to have fixed it a little but still getting the bang.

Im pretty new to these trucks so bear with me if I'm completely off the mark, but in my pic you can see the red arrow and is that what its hitting together at full lock?

Yes mate, thats the bit.

You can buy caps for the steering stops from Nissan - and believe it or not they are relatively cheap - $2.75 each when I got some a while back.

So there is meant to be like a rubber cap on that bolt or something? Anyone got a pic of what I need to buy, so if Nissan ask me anything about I don't look like a complete fool

As you can see from my pic I greased the completely wrong bit :dontknow:

So, will I need to scrape the grease out of there?

And back to the steering stops (now that I know what they are), in the pic there is like half of something on there, is that the remains of the cap or is that on a cap?

Yeah yeah, I know I have no idea haha

Attachments

• IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 123
Yep - that is the remains of the cap. Take that off and fit some new ones. Try to avoid holding the steering at full lock - especially on uneven ground.

Yep - that is the remains of the cap. Take that off and fit some new ones. Try to avoid holding the steering at full lock - especially on uneven ground.

Awesome, thanks mate. Do I need to clean up the grease I put in the wrong place or is fine to leave it?

Easiest way to clean it would be spray some degreaser on there and then hose it off. It shouldn't do any damage anyway so you can probably just leave it. I'd just grease up that steering stop instead of getting new caps. You'll find they won't last long anyway and they normally put grease on the caps anyway to help them last longer I guess...

Grease works - but it don't last long either. New caps with a smudge of grease is the way to go - and be kind to the steering on full lock.

They don't need it - but it adds a little lubrication I guess. Anyway - that's my experience - and it works for me.

As you can see from my pic I greased the completely wrong bit :dontknow:

So, will I need to scrape the grease out of there?

And back to the steering stops (now that I know what they are), in the pic there is like half of something on there, is that the remains of the cap or is that on a cap?

Yeah yeah, I know I have no idea haha

Hi mate. Welcome to the forum.
I would clean up the grease that u have smeared in the wrong spot, firstly using some of it and rub it on your steering stops.
I wouldn't worry about buying cap ends for the steering stops. Why waste your money? U obviously have access to grease, so if you need to apply a dab more in 6 months then u can. Spend your money on something better. Or buy another grease canister and u can grease the whole car.
And yeh, don't drive at full lock on the steering, always back it off a touch.

That for all the help guys, its all fixed up.

I still get a bit of a clunch going from lock to lock (stationary) but im thinking that has something to do with the shocks...

When I bought the car I noticed the clunk at full lock, when I asked the guy he said it had always done it since he bought it, ~3 years ago. As you can see from the pic they were gone.

So, went to Nissan and $24.80 later its all good.

Attachments

• IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 98

Latest posts

Back